AuthorTopic: Squirrels Dump of many thingies...  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Squirrelsquid

• Nuts!?
    • View Profile

Squirrels Dump of many thingies...

on: November 20, 2007, 04:47:53 pm
Well it's been ages since I last posted here on Pixelation, and because there has been quite some development, regarding my personal project, I decided to open up a dump, that I will update with new stuff every now and then.
Feedback is ofcourse highly apreciated.

first things first. The new installment of my shoot em up will be made in Highres 1024x768 instead of 320x240. That's why I assembled this massive mockup:

there are black bars left and right, as well as a HUD, but since that was not final, I did not include it for the final installment of the mock...
there are 8 easter eggs as well! most have to do with Pixeljoint members.

Now this mock only contained enemies designed for the 320x240 version... here's a new one specificly designed for Highres:

still WIP, but you get the idea...
The restless soul, automaticly goes into standby, when low on health.
If you don't kill it completely in time, it will reactivate with full health.

though it also has it's benefits, like the added score and chain after each kill,
so you can milk it for points

and as an added bonus, here's Aki, a character I recreated in a higher resolution, from an old mockup of mine.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:54:29 pm by Squirrelsquid »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: Squirrels Dump of many thingies...

Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 07:30:07 pm
Your mockup uses colours that are far too close to eachother. Make the background darker and with less contrast than your other objects and make your bullets & explosions either outlined, completely differently styled (IE: particles) or just another colours than your most common objects' colours. This makes it for me, a possible player, more attractive to play your game. I can see my enemies stand out from the background, I can recognize bullets to avoid and enemies to shoot clearly. Those things are important.

Offline Squirrelsquid

• Nuts!?
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 07:56:49 pm
thanks for the comment TrevoriuS, you are right about the background, though that will get a major overhaul sometime soon.

But I prolly will not change bullets, since they add to the war of Red versus Blue color. and outlining is not an Option either, IMO.
if I added outlines to the effects it would probably look real strange, since they would be the only objects with outlines...
I might alter the colors slightly, but don't expect Green bullets, as that would just not fit the Alien race.

on another note, I think this is finished regarding the shading, so I started on a little test animation.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 08:27:59 pm
fun stuff squirrel!  maybe the bullets could flash from their current gfx to a brighter color, that'd amp up visibility some and stay in keeping with the game's style I think.  cant wait to see more!

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 10:00:56 pm
I think the bullets are not that much looking alike the ships though I made sure to mention it anyways. I like that antimation xD Maybe make it first shoot bullets, and when you get too close bite you with extreme damage xD

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 10:05:06 pm
The mockup looks way too bare. You need to add more. :P

<3U

Yeah, in all honesty this stuff is amazing,i'd really like to see it in action.

Offline mobichan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Licker

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 01:40:45 am
I also agree that the background should not share colors with enemies or bullets.  You might consider making explosions and bullets not share colors either.  Right now, the mockup is very difficult to read, since explosions and bullets are sharing an orange color (and the enemies have a warm color scheme that also blends into the orange).  I am assuming that if a big wave of enemies is getting mowed down, then there will be a lot of orange on orange action.  Of course, if the animation of the explosion faded off to a neutral color very quickly this might not be a problem, but I would think that changing the bullet color might be the easiest solution.

With that said, I would love to see this in action.  I love me some shmups!   :y: