AuthorTopic: Cyberpunk pixels  (Read 12846 times)

Offline Oz

• Ginga!
    • View Profile

Cyberpunk pixels

on: November 24, 2005, 12:31:16 am
Hey all!

I'm not really a GFX artist (musician at heart), but I toy around with pixeling at times. My buddy Acke posted in these forums, and it inspired me to show some of my stuff. Take a look and see what you think. Most of it is from a 2D adventure game (unfinished) called The Prophecy. They are all low-res so you might want to zoom in a little!

Promo screen:

Cut scene still (another version of this image is used in a cyberpunk platformer I'm working on with some friends - http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=533.0 ):

Some character faces (I know they are very generic):

Tile map (top-down view ala DreamWeb, for those of you who remember it!):

Intro stills:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 08:10:42 pm by Oz »
Diversity is divine!

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Re: Cyberpunk pixels

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 12:50:34 am
I'm not really a GFX artist (musician at heart).

Well, you have proved yourself to be multi-talented. I love these; they have such mood. The style of the faces are so ordinary .. which isn't bad at all; I love it.
@darionmccoy

Offline Oz

• Ginga!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 01:02:28 am
I'm not really a GFX artist (musician at heart).

Well, you have proved yourself to be multi-talented. I love these; they have such mood. The style of the faces are so ordinary .. which isn't bad at all; I love it.

Thank you! I've been trying to vary the faces but there are so few pixels to shuffle that it's easy to get locked up with one facial expression. It would be easier if they weren't all front perspective.
Diversity is divine!

Offline TKSkater

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 01:31:43 am
Wow those are sweet. I love the detail and I can tell you put time into it. Did that game go anywhere?

Offline Oz

• Ginga!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 02:09:53 am
Wow those are sweet. I love the detail and I can tell you put time into it. Did that game go anywhere?

Thank you. :)

The game is still "in production" but it's going slowly. I'm working on it from time to time.
I might just kick-start the development again after reading these kind comments from you guys. Thanks again.
Diversity is divine!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 03:14:20 am
Great skill!

I'm going to go over some of these, since I think that composition wise there is some stuff left to do.

#1: Promo screen:

What is lacking imo is depth. The rock on the foreground needs to be detailed more and lightened up, so it comes out in the foreground. Try making it a blue that's the opposite of the reds used in the background. A glow around the parchment to make that jump out would be ace too. As for the parchment itself, I don't like the black edge on the curl. Symmetry could be broken by putting the foreground rock to the left and the city to the right.

#2: Just lovely scene, breath taking, no crits for it...

#3: The faces could use some extra highlight, or a secondary light source, perhaps even some sort of ambient lighting. Also, you need extra highlights on the glass and the helmets, those look very dull. http://www.spriteart.com/tutorials/02_ambient_face.html <- might come in handy...

#4: I don't like all those black outlines, try colouring them depending on where the light comes from. This is alot of work on this ammount of tiles, so perhaps you'd better keep it in mind for next project or something :). Also, is that lava? I dunno if you looked at real lava, but it's firey and bright with ALOT of contrast, I'm really missing that here...

#5: Pretty good, but I'm missing contrast, and perhaps a hue shift...

Offline Bo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 08:06:50 am
silver fang to the max.

i love all the work that you posted in this thread. have any more of it?

the faces looks kinda dull but that could add some humor to the game if deaalt with right.

Offline Acke

• Oh yeah! Pixel for me baby! ;)
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 11:27:34 am
Oz: Hey there mate. ;) Bout time you showed your stuff off in a forum. :) One thing I noticed tho, is that they are very effing dark! Oh. Make them footstep sounds allready!

Offline Oz

• Ginga!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 11:40:03 am
Great skill!

I'm going to go over some of these, since I think that composition wise there is some stuff left to do.

#1: Promo screen:

What is lacking imo is depth. The rock on the foreground needs to be detailed more and lightened up, so it comes out in the foreground. Try making it a blue that's the opposite of the reds used in the background. A glow around the parchment to make that jump out would be ace too. As for the parchment itself, I don't like the black edge on the curl. Symmetry could be broken by putting the foreground rock to the left and the city to the right.

Yes I agree. This was one of my first "full screen" pixeled images, and it's kinda flat. Great suggestions composition wise!

#2: Just lovely scene, breath taking, no crits for it...

I'm glad you like it.

#3: The faces could use some extra highlight, or a secondary light source, perhaps even some sort of ambient lighting. Also, you need extra highlights on the glass and the helmets, those look very dull. http://www.spriteart.com/tutorials/02_ambient_face.html <- might come in handy...

This was also my first attempt at pixeling faces, and I just couldn't seem to vary them enough. I haven't really thought about experimenting with lighting (which I guess is why they look so flat) and I might try this. Good point.

#4: I don't like all those black outlines, try colouring them depending on where the light comes from. This is alot of work on this ammount of tiles, so perhaps you'd better keep it in mind for next project or something :). Also, is that lava? I dunno if you looked at real lava, but it's firey and bright with ALOT of contrast, I'm really missing that here...

Aaah. Those black outlines. Hehe. It was actually a concious decision to include them as I was trying to mimic the visual style of the game DreamWeb (which had black outlines). Some people love them, some people hate them. I agree they can get a little obtrusive, especially with that many tiles on the screen. I haven't tried to remove them though, and I definitely could try that. As for the "lava". Haha, yeah. That was a mistake I made when I built the 8-bit palette for the project. That particular gradient is way to too orange. It's supposed to be sand of course. :-\

#5: Pretty good, but I'm missing contrast, and perhaps a hue shift...

A hue shift definetely!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 11:50:23 am by Oz »
Diversity is divine!

Offline Oz

• Ginga!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 11:44:01 am
Oz: Hey there mate. ;) Bout time you showed your stuff off in a forum. :) One thing I noticed tho, is that they are very effing dark! Oh. Make them footstep sounds allready!

Oi Acke! Yes, finally. And I'm getting lots of good pointers here, so it was a good move. ;)

Yes, they are dark, and I think my monitor is to blame. It's been ready to give up the ghost for a couple of years now (very dark) so I have to turn up the contrast A LOT to see anything, which means that it's hard to know how bright the image is on a "normal" screen.

I got the new version of the 'punker last night (no sound lag), so I'll put down some work on the sounds as soon as I finish my essay (hopefully this week). Just kick me out of IRC if I join or something, I need to get some work done. ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 11:48:13 am by Oz »
Diversity is divine!