AuthorTopic: Avatar; omy longtimenosee o:  (Read 20118 times)

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

on: November 18, 2007, 06:02:12 am
I could tell you my [very small] pixelling history, along with other small personal trivia, but that's not really important, now is it?  ;3

I got an avatar half-done for this forum, it took me a few hours during a couple of days. Or something. - Am planning to animate it, but I don't have an animator. Awell.

- Someone give me critique/advice/praise/flame/soda/kick in the arse?

More or less how I look like. Yup, dithering and everything. ¬ ¬
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:47:42 pm by Anything! »

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Re: Avatar;

Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 11:53:01 am
The faulty part might be the pallete, which could blind a bit. Try out the standard pixelation avatar fad pallete and see if it's to your liking?

Offline tadpole

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 01:39:24 pm
I'm a complete n00b, and a lousy artist, but I'll give my opinion:  I think it looks really cool.  I love the face and the hair. Good job.

Some little things that bother me: 

The shadow on the left cheek looks a bit off to me.
That one red pixel in the hair in the lower right really stands out.
Your face is the same color as the background...weird!  But it looks like you are using only 3 colors, so there might not be much you can do about that.
The more I stare at it, the red shading on the yellow skin looks more and more awkward.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 04:48:02 pm

It was meant to look blinding, but I have to admit it looks a bit awkward. I did like the red, so I'm not very fond of this second one I tried, but hey, until I get the mistakes fixed, I'll use it.

And what may that pallete be? It's those 50x50s with striped bgs, if I'm not mistaken?

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 05:53:59 pm
Eh, I don't think there's 'one pallette', I didn't follow one at least when I made mine O:

... Not the one I have now, mind you <:

I think the blinding contrast is a nice touch, but you should tweak the colors until the AA works and so on. Other than that it's really nice :] Mouth feels a bit small for the face perhaps? The way the nose is rendered is hard to make out. But then, at times, noses are best unrendered :]

Good work anyway!
' _ '

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 06:53:05 pm
Or maybe it flew away. ;3

I fixed up the nose a little, and I lengthened the lips a bit. I'm happy with the nose, but not as much with the lips, so I'm going to see if I can buy a compact mirror I can keep with me while I fix this up- running to and fro from the bathroom and bedroom causes the 'rents to think I've a bladder problem. D:

PS: I dislike the insert key. :/

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 01:45:20 am
Update

I got two new palletes done. I can't wait to get this finished so I can get to the background. o:

I had the lighter one done first, and then decided to up the contrast a bit on GraphicsGale [the free one- I don't use it to pixel, just to mess with colours/count 'em].
I personally like the darker one, but I put both up here to get opinion. A little sad that I couldn't have a Microsoft-safe avatar [mwahahahaha ;3] but owell.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 02:32:11 am
I would ditch the dithering in your hair. The AA is fine, but the dithering does not really work, and it's a little distracting. Anyways, I did a quick edit.. I added a few highlights to the glasses, and added a bit of dithering who's "technical" name escapes me currently.. I want to say it's something silly like 25 dither... anyways just an idea..

Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 03:07:42 am
very nice anything, though I think I prefer the blinding palette more personally.  Ignore malor's edit, its pretty atrocious, though his basic idea has some merit.  The weakest part of the piece I think is the dithering across the hair and the shirt.  Its very well done but with this limited palette I think you will be able to present more information by working with solid shapes - e.g. in the hair, you could actually pixel in strokes for the hair, rather than a bunch of dots.  That will tell us more about the form and match the silhouette better stylistically.

EDIT - realized i spelled "blinding" "bling", which is preposterous.  Also, malor, i mean you no personal insult, but you went against your own advice!  you said the dithering really doesn't work, and then dithered all over the face.  your piece has problems according to your own critique, not mine.  But the changes you made to her eyes and facial structure basically make her look like a drunken ex-con or something.  you had the right idea, just perhaps lost some focus once you started doodling!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:12:59 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 03:09:58 am
very nice anything, though I think I prefer the bling palette more personally.  Ignore malor's edit, its pretty atrocious,

Ouch. Low blow Adam. Actually, you're right. forget what I said. :-[ That edit is awful, sorry.
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 03:53:35 am
I'm a drunken ex-con, mwahahaha. >3

I didn't find his edit useless at all. I actually took some advice and removed the dithering from the hair, and I also added some light reflections to my glasses; Looks like glasses now, doesn't it? o:
I also left the dithering on the shirt, but I'll think of how to make that different.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 04:14:00 am
I know this is a short post/opinion, but i think the first looks better stylistically compared to the newest version. i think the contrast idea works.
red against yellow looks good in my opinion, but in the newer version it has less saturation and looses some...
flair?

i don't know, but it looked better in the first version in my personal opinion.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 05:42:39 am
I disagree.
I think the newest version is by far the best.
Also, not too much wrong with the shirt. Though that one little dot that sticks up from the rest, near the center, is kind of odd.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 08:08:49 am
I think the newest version is by far the best.

Likewise. Good progress. However a single pixel is a lot of real estate in such high contrast so perhaps you should reconsider placing black pixels for moles and such. Think if you took a high-contrast photograph portrait, if these sorts of details would 'burn out' on film or not. Not that you're supposed to do as reality does, but do consider.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 11:58:35 am
I fixed up the dithering on the shirt. :> Sorta.

And the dithering on the face, for the most part, isn't moles or anything [I think I've only three on my face; two on my cheek, one at the corner of my eye], it's just bumps on my face, from healing [finally] acne and whatnot. They wouldn't normally appear as anything on a high-contrast picture though; should I remove them? I think it gives the picture more personality. ;3

* Fixed the lips by two pixels maybe, and put in the old pallete in just for comparison's sake. I liked the old pallete, but the new one has a little cha'm too, and it's easy on the eyes. o:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 01:51:25 pm
I think it gives the picture more personality. ;3

That's reason enough to keep them.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 05:20:36 pm

Not much here, jus' starting a background, maybe.

Did a few nitpicks. Going with a hospital theme unless something else interests me.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 01:09:30 am
perfect example of a study using a limited pallettes... nice work Anything!

you kind of look familiar tho...

separated at birth?

lol

I WAS actually gonna say Aleiav - but her avatar seems to have gone walkies... in fact... she's gone AWOL for a while now... (and Ryona too) boohoo.... where's all the girlie pixelers disappeared to?

Anyway... welcome aboard Anything! Enjoy your stay :)

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 02:19:42 am
Mwa, I see the similarities- orange hair and everything. XD

Thanks for the welcome! :>

Not much to say here; I tried drawing a 'cute' needle. I don't think it's really good, so I'm going to work on that for a while.

Offline Dragen

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 02:32:30 am
It's pretty nice, though I can't say I like the colours.  I feel complied to tell you though, there are no girls on the interbutts.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 02:37:22 am
If interbutts=internets, then what? :<

If you don't like the colours, do you have any suggestions, then? o:

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 02:53:31 am
I'm sorry about my uh, 'friend' here. He's learning about an underground hacker's site that corrupts LOL(meaning Laugh Out Loud) into lulz and you really just need a dog and some curtains to protect yourself. Anyway Dragen, this is not the place for either of us to be bring e/b/aums into this topic, too many h/a/ters.

I disagree with your opinion on the colors, I think they look great.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 04:24:12 am
what are you talking about, bengo? ...

I think the colors are good as well.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 05:29:02 am
e/b/aums? h/a/ters?

-clutches grammar book- wut? :<

Thanks for your comments. Did a few nit-picky things, and even decided to try out making the darkest colour blue. I've been staring at blues for a while, so I don't know exactly how good it looks, but I like both palletes.

-tries to find a good /free/ animator- D;

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 08:08:54 am
perfect example of a study using a limited pallettes... nice work Anything!

you kind of look familiar tho...

separated at birth?

lol

I WAS actually gonna say Aleiav - but her avatar seems to have gone walkies... in fact... she's gone AWOL for a while now... (and Ryona too) boohoo.... where's all the girlie pixelers disappeared to?

Anyway... welcome aboard Anything! Enjoy your stay :)

Umm wait what? O: Yeah, I see the likeness with the .. emo-glasses .. and .. all.. ?

Haha, and orange hair was added purely for FLAIR, I'm blonde and cute IRL. Yeah, that's my portrait with the ever-staring eyes. Heh.
' _ '

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 09:18:24 pm
And our noses, a bit? XD My lips are sorta-sorta like that, but really pink. >D

I think I'm almost done. I'm going to try to animate it, but if it doesn't work, owell. :>

Fixed up that little curl on my forehead, messed with the needle some, and hairline.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 09:55:34 pm
I like the newest version. I prefer the blue as the darkest colour personally, but then i also loved the original pallet. My main problem currently is the syringe... It looks to me like a deformed radish. I had to read your comments to figure out what it was supposed to be.

I think you've gone abit overboard with the "cute" idea. I think you would benifit from rendering it accuratly first before trying to make it cute.

This is where if i had a image program i'd have made an edit. But unfortunatly my computer died last month and i'm currently useing a box that doesn't even have MS Paint. xP

But i think it would benifit from makeing the heart smaller by a vertical pixel and allowing a pixel of plunger core before the top of the main chamber. In addition, your syringe tapers at the top(which i've yet to see in a syringe) and doesn't have a finger grippy thingie (The tecnical term of course.) that is needed to actually force the liquid out of the syringe.

Google images syringe and referance of real pictures when you pixel. : )
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 09:57:15 pm by heyy13 »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 10:16:13 pm
I could animate it in PS for ya, if you deliver me the frames
PS: using windows explorer on slideshow and viewing your frames in the right order can give you a good grasp of results. Same goes for pasting frames on top of eachother and using ctrl + z / ctrl + y (note save before doing this, I lost hours of work wiith pasting too many xD

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 01:18:59 am
I used to have a box. It was white, blocky, dirtylooking despite me cleaning it frequently, sound card was broken so no sound, video card was broken so the computer ran on a microsoft-safe 16 colour pallete. Which, as you can assume, makes it so I couldn't pixel with any other colours, and any image made it freeze [and lose data]. :#

You mean like this? o:

Awh, thankya. :3 If I don't find a good animator myself, I may have to take you up on that offer.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 01:49:37 am
Much better.

But from a ballence point of view your picture is off. Well... it was before aswell but now the radish thing is no longer bothering me it's come to my attention more. You've a 15px tall cross in the darkest colour in the top left corner and a 25px tall syringe in the top right corner mostly in the light and midtone shade.

So next i think you need to restore ballence to the image by either making the syringe smaller and darker, or the cross larger and lighter. In adition with the cross the way it is currently i find my eyes think it's the focus of the image, and naturally are drawn to that. I have to force myself to look at the rest of it when your face should be the focus.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 11:55:28 am
Yay?

And so... midget needle it is! And a lighter cross. DX

Like so:

Thanks for telling me that. :>

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 01:23:20 pm
If you put a grey square on a yellow background, you will percieve it as slightly blue because of the unnatural contrast, that same grey can be perciebed yellow if you put it on a blue background. Maybe you wish to go for a more grey tone than blue tone at that right version? It all seems fine to me BUT I would personally still prefer to see some shading in the hair or a definition of what is cloth and what is hair to see the shape more clearly.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 05:30:21 pm
I like the new colour, but I'm not so sure about defining my hair's shape.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 06:08:37 pm
Here's an attempt...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9365/wezf9.png

You may wish to do this with some actual red lines so not just dither to get rid of the 'vagueness' or you may wish to completely leave it out. I did what I thought would look right, but compared to the original I haven't got a clue what looks better.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #34 on: November 21, 2007, 07:17:15 pm
I think it looks a bit flat. You have some shadow around the eyes, but not much elsewhere. I think bringing back the highlights on the hair (but without the dithering), and darker shadow on the neck, under the nose and on the cheeks might help. :)

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: November 21, 2007, 07:39:58 pm
ye that's the way to go, though I'm not very sure if I should agree with the changes you made on the face itself.
Good solution in the hair though.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #36 on: November 21, 2007, 09:33:07 pm

YES.  That's what I like to see.  Nice edit.  I think this is what Adam was talking about in his first post.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: November 21, 2007, 10:03:26 pm
anamunumuna... e_o

That looks amazing. I tried it out, but it only became half as good as yours, Arachne.

The top highlights look really wonky.

Still kept the imperfections. As I said before, I think it gives personality. :>

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: November 21, 2007, 10:42:04 pm
The focus on your top highlights is wrong. They all go to 2 points at an edge, why not let them go to 2 points somewhere in the center, so you see the lines diverging again after passing some point of strongest reflection.

On the right side I think you could've put 2 thinner lines instead of 1 to give a better grasp of the surface.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: November 22, 2007, 03:10:03 am
I think the highlight on our right side should curve back a little at the end, because it kind of looks like it would end up in the negative space right now.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #40 on: November 22, 2007, 08:53:01 am
you coul;d drop the odd bit of yellow into the hair shine too... make it look extra shiny...

btw - what sdoes anamunamuna mean? is it some kind of jinx/hex?
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: November 22, 2007, 08:54:37 am
Probably just mumbling in a stunned situation.

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: November 22, 2007, 07:53:52 pm
you coul;d drop the odd bit of yellow into the hair shine too... make it look extra shiny...

btw - what sdoes anamunamuna mean? is it some kind of jinx/hex?

I concur full heartedly. This is looking great. Keep it up ;D

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: March 21, 2008, 11:43:01 pm
omy. o:

It's definitely been a while. Months, actually. D:

Between school, home, and my health, there were loads o' stuff to deal with lately-- Hopefully I'm back. And hopefully I haven't broken a rule by reviving an old thread. :'D

I updated the hair to make it look more alike to now. The mouth was pissing me off, so I covered it with my favourite scarf. >D Made the eyes smaller, since my eyes are pretty lazy-lookin'. Seemed to me to be a shame to not finish this. <:

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Re: Avatar; omy longtimenosee o:

Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 07:55:51 am
I can't believe I'm double-posting, but... o:

UPDATE:

Ahh, looks like me. Incredibly tired. I really think I look /more/ like a drunken ex-con now.  ^-^

And I guess the girly side of me has become attached to cute things. Ew. >:

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: March 23, 2008, 11:02:01 am
I think you should add some shading to that scarf. It looks pretty flat right now.
Something like this maybe?

It's just a rough edit, but I think this shows what I mean.
Other than that, pretty cool avatar  :y: ;D
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: March 23, 2008, 06:52:10 pm

Like this?  <:

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #47 on: March 23, 2008, 07:45:02 pm
Please don't cover up the mouth with a scarf just because it's pissing you off! It looks silly in my opinion, especially since the scarf is placed on the jaw rather than the usual neck positioning, meaning it would have to be quite tightly placed, with stretch marks or something. At least have another band on the neck to hold it up with. I suggest you work on the mouth instead. Other than that, good updates imo. :)

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: March 23, 2008, 09:33:02 pm
Odam.

I knew I wasn't the only person that thought it was somewhat odd.  D:

I worked on the mouth, like you told me. I made two versions. I don't know which one is the best.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: March 23, 2008, 10:10:20 pm
without the scarf is much more feminine, take that as you will in your decision.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #50 on: March 23, 2008, 11:09:10 pm
I've got some small suggestions with this, though it's improved alot you could work a bit more on it's readability in my opinion. It's a harsh palette restriction but it doesn't mean you can't still trick the eye here and there.

I don't think the neck should cone out like that, Changed it slightly, hinted in the shape of the neck too.

Though the face shape should be pretty much symetrical, the lighting will hit her face at an angle so theres nothing wrong with some variation.

I think the nose needs more definition too.

I've changed some AAing here and there too, hope any of this helps.

I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: March 24, 2008, 12:04:16 am
I don't think I've ever looked like that in my life.   ;D

But that's okay. Your edit was pretty useful. I took some of your advice.

Dude-- I really should save things before uplodading them. D;
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:07:41 am by Anything! »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: March 24, 2008, 12:37:11 am
I don't think I've ever looked like that in my life.   ;D

in all fairness, we don't know what you look like if you post no reference ^^

the pat of tocky's terley's edit that i liked was the way he handled that one strand of hair across the forehead.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: March 24, 2008, 01:14:18 am
Well... touché.  XD

I don't have a camera. XD I'm using, basically no reference-- I'm still running to and fro from the bathroom, mind you. X3
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 03:34:54 pm by Anything! »

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: March 30, 2008, 02:57:49 am

Nitpicks. Anything to say before I move on and dub this finished? D:

Edit: Because I was falling over with boredom--

I didn't want to start something new yet, since I don't know whether this is really finished, but I wanted to do something...

Silly alien-eque edit:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 06:17:15 am by Anything! »