AuthorTopic: Avatar; omy longtimenosee o:  (Read 20277 times)

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

on: November 18, 2007, 06:02:12 am
I could tell you my [very small] pixelling history, along with other small personal trivia, but that's not really important, now is it?  ;3

I got an avatar half-done for this forum, it took me a few hours during a couple of days. Or something. - Am planning to animate it, but I don't have an animator. Awell.

- Someone give me critique/advice/praise/flame/soda/kick in the arse?

More or less how I look like. Yup, dithering and everything. ¬ ¬
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:47:42 pm by Anything! »

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Re: Avatar;

Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 11:53:01 am
The faulty part might be the pallete, which could blind a bit. Try out the standard pixelation avatar fad pallete and see if it's to your liking?

Offline tadpole

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 01:39:24 pm
I'm a complete n00b, and a lousy artist, but I'll give my opinion:  I think it looks really cool.  I love the face and the hair. Good job.

Some little things that bother me: 

The shadow on the left cheek looks a bit off to me.
That one red pixel in the hair in the lower right really stands out.
Your face is the same color as the background...weird!  But it looks like you are using only 3 colors, so there might not be much you can do about that.
The more I stare at it, the red shading on the yellow skin looks more and more awkward.

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 04:48:02 pm

It was meant to look blinding, but I have to admit it looks a bit awkward. I did like the red, so I'm not very fond of this second one I tried, but hey, until I get the mistakes fixed, I'll use it.

And what may that pallete be? It's those 50x50s with striped bgs, if I'm not mistaken?

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 05:53:59 pm
Eh, I don't think there's 'one pallette', I didn't follow one at least when I made mine O:

... Not the one I have now, mind you <:

I think the blinding contrast is a nice touch, but you should tweak the colors until the AA works and so on. Other than that it's really nice :] Mouth feels a bit small for the face perhaps? The way the nose is rendered is hard to make out. But then, at times, noses are best unrendered :]

Good work anyway!
' _ '

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 06:53:05 pm
Or maybe it flew away. ;3

I fixed up the nose a little, and I lengthened the lips a bit. I'm happy with the nose, but not as much with the lips, so I'm going to see if I can buy a compact mirror I can keep with me while I fix this up- running to and fro from the bathroom and bedroom causes the 'rents to think I've a bladder problem. D:

PS: I dislike the insert key. :/

Offline Anything!

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 01:45:20 am
Update

I got two new palletes done. I can't wait to get this finished so I can get to the background. o:

I had the lighter one done first, and then decided to up the contrast a bit on GraphicsGale [the free one- I don't use it to pixel, just to mess with colours/count 'em].
I personally like the darker one, but I put both up here to get opinion. A little sad that I couldn't have a Microsoft-safe avatar [mwahahahaha ;3] but owell.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 02:32:11 am
I would ditch the dithering in your hair. The AA is fine, but the dithering does not really work, and it's a little distracting. Anyways, I did a quick edit.. I added a few highlights to the glasses, and added a bit of dithering who's "technical" name escapes me currently.. I want to say it's something silly like 25 dither... anyways just an idea..

Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 03:07:42 am
very nice anything, though I think I prefer the blinding palette more personally.  Ignore malor's edit, its pretty atrocious, though his basic idea has some merit.  The weakest part of the piece I think is the dithering across the hair and the shirt.  Its very well done but with this limited palette I think you will be able to present more information by working with solid shapes - e.g. in the hair, you could actually pixel in strokes for the hair, rather than a bunch of dots.  That will tell us more about the form and match the silhouette better stylistically.

EDIT - realized i spelled "blinding" "bling", which is preposterous.  Also, malor, i mean you no personal insult, but you went against your own advice!  you said the dithering really doesn't work, and then dithered all over the face.  your piece has problems according to your own critique, not mine.  But the changes you made to her eyes and facial structure basically make her look like a drunken ex-con or something.  you had the right idea, just perhaps lost some focus once you started doodling!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:12:59 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 03:09:58 am
very nice anything, though I think I prefer the bling palette more personally.  Ignore malor's edit, its pretty atrocious,

Ouch. Low blow Adam. Actually, you're right. forget what I said. :-[ That edit is awful, sorry.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.