AuthorTopic: greyscale sprite, shading exercise  (Read 11464 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: greyscale sprite, shading exercise

Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 01:32:28 am
I don't mind him downscaling art to pixel art, but then he needs to say he did and post the original. I just KNEW he didn't come up with that character and that I saw it somewhere before...

Offline Gazette

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 01:39:44 am
Uh, Gil, no offence, but he did this from the start, i saw his progress and stuff too, none of this was scaled down, Also, thats Auron, a character from a popular video game. Did any of you take the time to concider he's just really, really good at getting designs accurate and such? in my opinion it looks quite different from the art anyway, and if you want proof, you go downscale the art, you go lower the color count, and you go fix it up, see if they look similar, if they dont, i think you owe him an apology for falsely accusing him.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 01:49:03 am
I tried overlaying and such and it seems Dogmeat is wrong that it's downscaled. I apologize for jumping on the wagon without checking myself.

Anyway, it is still against the rules to use other people's art for reference without mentioning the reference, so next time post your references (same with your last threads).

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 01:50:10 am
THe problem is, that he didn't say he based it off anything, or post a reference. The original drawing is all over the internet and anyone who is a fan of final fantasy has probably seen it at one point or another.

Maybe I'm being a little to harsh in my original post and I'm sorry about blatently accusing him of directly stealing it, but he should have at least stated that it was from a reference, and not that he completely did it originally. Also wasn't he accused of similar things with a vincent sprite in another thread.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 01:53:07 am
...The original drawing is all over the internet and anyone who is a fan of final fantasy has probably seen it at one point or another.
Exactly. I suppose that perhaps he thought that maybe that perchance most of the majority of alot of people know final fantasy and would, therefore, instantly recognize this character as a fanart/unoriginal.

Offline Gazette

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 01:57:27 am
Well, first of all, the art is official, and, i dont really see the point in stating official art as a reference, when its a bit obvious most everyone knows it was made by some guy that works for square. Anyway, sorry for getting so pissy, i just dont exactly enjoy friends getting blamed for being..well, good.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 02:00:51 am
No, sorry, the rules have ALWAYS been that references must be included. Creativity on this sprite is zero, since it's a copy of the original. Even if it's a very well done piece, we need to know this, as it is not 100% original. Same as giving credits for lineart...

Offline PyroPiranha

• "Leading Ninja Authority" - Ninja #2350228
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 02:03:04 am
I will use my discrestion, as far as I'm concerned this is a trace, recolor, what have you... is locked UNTIL I am presented adequate evidence that would suggest otherwise to prevent any resulting flaming...

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=487.msg5696#msg5696 - You were seen reducing a cg image here.  I stand by Helm's opinion.

And, you were questioned here http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=538.msg6384#msg6384 for color reducing/and cging.

On a side note, be warned that art theft or using someone else's piece and passing it off as your own without credit or in malice is one of the biggest offenses you can do on an art forum, so I HIGHLY suggest for your own sake you consider your next post.

Gazette:
Well, first of all, the art is official, and, i don't really see the point in stating official art as a reference, when its a bit obvious most everyone knows it was made by some guy that works for square. Anyway, sorry for getting so pissy, i just don't exactly enjoy friends getting blamed for being..well, good.

This forum isn't a gallery...it is a place for people to learn, and to receive feed back.  No one who posted in this thread thought your friend invented that character, everyone knows who that character is, the problem here was how close that pixel piece looked in relation to the cg image, and the piexl piece appeared to be a cg reduced recolor(Which he's been caught doing once, by another moderator)
In regards to why reference would be needed for something like this is because a. it's an ethical rule that artists post their reference, it's just common courtesy.  b. It prevents situations like this from going so far, because his motives won't be questioned, when he doesn't post references and then gets so defensive, it could appear to be in malice.

Feel free to PM me if you have any problems with my decision of locking this post.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 02:05:37 am by PyroPiranha »

Offline PyroPiranha

• "Leading Ninja Authority" - Ninja #2350228
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 08:18:35 pm
Upon discussion with other moderators, this thread has been unlocked...
HOWEVER:

Be aware, you are currently being reviewed for violating the declared  etiquette rule #2, which can be found at http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/pixipedia/index.php?title=Pixelopolis_Rules 

When you post artwork:

1. Give an honest effort: If you expect someone to reply and critique your work, please put an honest effort into it before you post, or you may be disappointed if nobody replies to your thread.
   2. Declaration: It is good form to explain the origins and authorship of the art you post. If you can, explain your methods for creating the work and provide work-in-progress (WIP) images. By declaring information about the work, you remove any ambiguity, which often causes conflict or confusion on the board.
   3. You're welcome to post concept artwork so long as you intend to post pixel work based on such art in the same thread.
  4. While we cannot restrict you from posting works that do not use pixel-level methods, we do encourage you to participate in the learning process. Do not expect critique of your work if you use few or none of the methods.

I do not want to discourage members from pointing out if they feel something is out of place, however it needs to be done in a respectful, professional manner.  If you do not have the capability to point out something of concern in a professional manner, report it to me and I will do so. 

I would just like to point out to everyone, if this topic gets rolling into a snowball of hate again, it WILL again be locked. 

Ryumaru, review the rules I've linked to, if not don't be surprised if a community member who has calls you out on it.  I stand by my original statement that if anyone has an issue with this thread or any thread for that matter, I will address it.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 08:35:29 pm
thanks, and for now on ill be as descriptive as possible with my future topics.ill also post more WIP images along with the finished product. sorry for any confusion people.