AuthorTopic: The Moon, Final Draft  (Read 5196 times)

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

The Moon, Final Draft

on: November 16, 2007, 12:45:55 am
Finally I finished a piece. recently, I have been trying to get back into pixeling, and this may just be what I needed. Anyways.. just an avatar.. the idea was obtained during English today.

Pro Motion used.. I am trying to break my addiction to paint..

Final Draft:

full explanation on reply #5

For funsies I added a starry background.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 01:55:31 pm by Malor »
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: The Moon

Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 05:31:17 am
The hat looks very shiny and made of plastic ...

There isn't a readable expression on the moon. Is he pissed off that the star won't turn off? If its cartoony, u really should have a readable expression, like him looky sleepy
or angry. The eyes look angy, but the lips throw the expression off.

Nice work on shading but maybe craters need highlight on the other side of the rim since that would catch the light too.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 03:58:55 pm
it's a bit odd how its bottom (chin? don't know which word would make it) is incurved. maybe you could want to opt for a smoother curve there.

The "orangish" part of the hat could be a bit fatter too (doing a sort of bump), and i'd say you could have a more interesting scene if the moon was indeed staring at the star ...

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 08:34:24 pm
very valid points. I suppose I will do an edit... unless I lose interest in this piece. If this happens it is not because I do not value your input, it is that I am simply a very lazy person.

EDIT: I did a little edit, in response to crits here and on pixeljoint.

I will probably still work on the hat. Maybe.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:57:48 am by Malor »
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 05:56:37 am
huh, older one is much better handling of light and pixel technique and shows a real progress in your work. 

newer edit......not so much.  you say it was based on advice?  that makes me worry about the guys over at pixeljoint......
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 02:23:16 pm
Hmm. I agree with you Adarias. Edit two coming up. It is also probably not the fault of the people giving me the advice, more it's more own misinterpretation of said advice.

Final Edit. I combined the things that I thought were good in both of the two drafts, redid some of the shading, and I am finally very happy with the result.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 05:51:07 pm by Malor »

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: The Moon, Final Draft

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 08:15:11 pm
I think that was probably my advice.

I suggested that the hat was rather flat, the shape of the moon confused, the lines defining the face a bit too harsh, and the overall look in areas a tad too gritty. I could've probably done a better job of the advice with some edits and by giving more than a few lines of commentary but, since it was a finished piece in the gallery I didn't.

Offline Malor

• View Profile

Re: The Moon, Final Draft

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 08:31:55 pm
I think that was probably my advice.

I suggested that the hat was rather flat, the shape of the moon confused, the lines defining the face a bit too harsh, and the overall look in areas a tad too gritty. I could've probably done a better job of the advice with some edits and by giving more than a few lines of commentary but, since it was a finished piece in the gallery I didn't.

Well, by all means do an edit now :P I still really appreciated your advice Doppleganger. I am hoping this edit touched on the things you pointed out as problem areas.