AuthorTopic: A Pixelation Selfportrait  (Read 15731 times)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: A Pixelation Selfportrait

Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 10:09:02 pm

ok i spent ages writting a pretty detailed crit, but somehow the page refreshed and what I wrote disappeared  :yell: so I'll try make it short and sweet.

Im not sure whether you're trying to be cartoony about this, if so I really would focus on exagerating your main features. But I'd really like to see you really experiment with ways to trick the eye into seeing certain details in a such a small space. With your colours I recon you can afford to be a bit more creative to hint shapes and tones etc.. All in all you seem to be very calculated with this, adding the rims of your glasses, the colour of your eyes and focusing solely on the symetrics of the face. Loosen up and dont be afraid to experiment.

well keep it up.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 01:22:20 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 08:51:11 am

ok i spent ages writting a pretty detailed crit, but somehow the page refreshed and what I wrote disappeared  :yell: so I'll try make it short and sweet.

Im not sure whether you're trying to be cartoony about this, if so I really would focus on exagerating your main features. But I'd really like to see you really experiment with ways to trick the eye into seeing certain details in a such a small space. With your colours I recon you can afford to be a bit more creative to hint shapes and tones etc.. All in all you seem to be very calculated with this, adding the rims of your glasses, the colour of your eyes and focusing solely on the symetrics of the face. Loosen up and dont be afraid to experiment.

well keep it up.
Aarg I know how it feels to have your page of crits lost.. :'(

Thank you for your comments and the edit!
No, im not trying to do this cartoony. Im allways afraid to experiment..  and I know I shouldnt.. today ill try to, before I continue with the cap etc..
Im not sure if I look like I really look in your edit, but it shows me alot of ways I can use my colors better I think! Also I really like the hair you did, it has way more body than mine..
Ill start working on this again this afternoon (Europe time..)
Greets,
Lollige

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 05:15:02 pm
Like this?
My hair is still pretty bad btw..
and im at 24 colors allready  >:(

Offline Dragen

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007, 09:55:21 pm
You need a thicker unibrow.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 22, 2007, 10:29:35 pm
thats such a profound suggestion Dragen..

All it needs is a little AAing, your doin fine lollige.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 10:33:44 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 08:54:01 am
Also come on now, black pixels for nosetrills, what are they, portals into the frozen abyss? Single pixels need aa too. Blend by lightening :)

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 01:49:07 pm
it kind of looks like steven king. anyone? anyone?
I see it man.

I was going to comment on the lips looking like they were chewing, but then I realized that they were fixed in the later updates.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #27 on: November 23, 2007, 03:11:25 pm
I didnt aa the hair too much at first because I tought it did not look good in 2x zoom.. but now that I have done it, it feels great..
I think the only large problem now is the neck, and when im done with that I can continue with fase 2 again ;)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 23, 2007, 04:34:36 pm
well this is a quick edit without reference so it loses likeness and youthliness by the pound, but my only point is that you might be better served with a simpler shading style that doesn't make it look like a jpeg:

A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #29 on: November 23, 2007, 09:14:11 pm
well this is a quick edit without reference so it loses likeness and youthliness by the pound, but my only point is that you might be better served with a simpler shading style that doesn't make it look like a jpeg:

Thanks for your edit Adarias!
However, im pretty proud of what I have done untill now, and this makes me feel I have to start over again   :-[

It looks alot better indeed. Maybe ill try some different light sources when im in the cap version... but for now I think I want to keep it like this ..
but ill save the edit, its going to be usefull, im sure about that :)