AuthorTopic: Demon Armor Samus WIP  (Read 15002 times)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: Demon Armor Samus WIP

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 09:20:19 pm

I'm not to sure about this edit but meh. Some things I did were:
Reduced the colour count to 20, reduced the saturation, Added a dithering suggestion to the left (Our view) shoulder.

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 10:18:31 pm
God forgive him for his sins I know its was his last minute, You spread his wings so he can only fly.. He will allways be a legend in our hearts and legends never die..

R.I.P Tose Proeski ~Senad

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 11:51:41 pm
I think you guys who did the color edits are kind of missing the point.  It looks like your main aim is to "desaturate, OMG!", when in reality the point is to get all of the colors to work in harmony together.  I don't know, but to me your edits just look like the original viewed through some sepia filter.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 12:28:44 am
Desaturation is absolutely! unncessary for this one. You could start dithering all over the place (which I find also a style choice) to reduce colours, or you could just leave it like this. As modern technology doesn't limit us to colours at all.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 01:16:49 am
tha cannon is the only thing that doesn't goes with the rest of the suit.. mostly the blue as color.

Offline Bit-Blade

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 01:26:48 am

Re-did the left shoulder, arm, and touched up the cannon.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 01:53:14 am

Thats what i meant about the running. I like your standing pose, but leg could still use some work. Maybe draw an outline of a woman standing in the same position to get a
better position for the leg in case the armour is distracting you.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 02:01:04 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Bit-Blade

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 04:24:33 am

I detailed the gun again, and tried to make the leg indicate that the gun was a light source. It was tricky, and I think I might have been sloppy with it.

Edit: You guys might be interested in this. In part I got the inspiration to do this from an enemy in Phantasy Star IV (Sega Genesis). It's a centaur, but still looks normal if you chop off the centaur-butt. Originally I only did a cheap edit for amusement "hey this armor kind of reminds me of Samus...", but eventually I took the edit for inspiration. For challenge I decided to do something roughly 3x taller than the original (although I didn't expect to be doing this for 6 months). There are still some untidy spots. (Original centaur sprite is here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Bit-Blade/centaur.gif).

I'm thinking of adding an Omega Metroid in the background.

Edit: Once again this stupid thing skewed the colors... This should fix it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:25:38 pm by Bit-Blade »

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 05:02:36 pm
Don't be afraid to make the blue lighting more prominent. It's barely noticeable now, but it would make it more dramatic if you boosted it a bit. In the piece, mixing blue into the darker parts of the colour-ramps is a good idea.

Also, there are a few parts in the main shading which I'm not sure about. The head and shoulders' highlights give an indication of the main light source but there are parts on the body which don't correspond with that, like the highlight on the red bit on the upper-leg furthest from the gun. I would move the highlight upwards because I don't think the part it's on now would catch the light. Same thing goes on a lot of other places.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 05:27:40 pm
NOW you've mentioned the centaur that fully explains what's going on with the hips on this piece...

I've been putting off posting on here cos I'm busy, but it's doing my head in that the upper body and the lower body are incongruous. If you drew a spine in where would it be? If you drew a pelvis in, where would it be?

You've got the pelvic mass tilted up and forward toward the viewer and it looks just wrong. The thorax area isn't right neither it's like twisted akwardly.

I hate to say this but I serioiusly think you should do some major reworking if you want this to anatomically conform to some semblance of reality...?

I'll post and edit soon to illustrate my point.

Look at these areas? >>>  <<<<My overlaid (sort of anatomical) scribble.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 09:04:11 pm by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com