AuthorTopic: Some Graphics for my RPG game.  (Read 22155 times)

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: Some Graphics for my RPG game.

Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 05:35:50 pm
I am not giving crits on the animation but I want to see the 'stand still' sprite so I can crit that cause it's clearly wrong regardless of any style choices.

Offline SirSami

• View Profile
    • Minioid game studio

Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 05:40:29 pm
Here you go:

Should I make new own template ?

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 08:00:15 pm
what thats not your own?

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 09:14:15 pm
I think there's something being lost in translation here guys... cut sirsami some slack - his england's a bit squiffy...
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Kyle

• Balla
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 09:55:18 pm
No it truly isn' his template. It is from a free resource site (as he said) where you pick certain hairstyles and such and it makes and RPG spriteset for you. I searched for the site a little bit but couldn't find it. I have used it way in the past, and I'm sure the thread starter would provide a link.

Offline SirSami

• View Profile
    • Minioid game studio

Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 03:01:50 am
http://charas-project.net/charas2/index.php
Here is the link.
I think there's something being lost in translation here guys... cut sirsami some slack - his england's a bit squiffy...

Do you mean me? I am sorry if there is some translation problems but I am not quite good at english ;)
what thats not your own?

Yeah that is not my own as I said before.
i thought i remembered 'zoso' doing some tiles that were VERY similar to these, but i cant seem to find them. 

as im not 100% sure the tiles are yours, i wont bother critiquing, but i will critique the sprites.
the sprites are pillowshaded, and you have to many colors. both of them read better at 2x+ and in the second one, the dithering makes it to messy.  try for simpler shapes and adjusting the contrast to establish a top down lightsource.

another issue im having is that the sprites are disproportionate  in comparison to the doors to the houses, and there are a few perspective issues (fence, trees)

You said about coloring. Should I use 256 color mode instead of true colors (24 bit)?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 03:22:16 am by SirSami »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 12:37:29 pm
Sorry I completely missed the line where you said it was from a free resource site. Further paletizing to 256 colours won't solve anything because you use less than 256 colours. Nonetheless you use more colours than is actually necessary so you could save some in those. The whole point of pixelart is (most commonly) do more, with less (colours that is).

Now I found that character really ugly so I advise you to make your own (or to at least modify this so it looks better as it's currently depthless and ugly but making your own = advised).

Offline SirSami

• View Profile
    • Minioid game studio

Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 01:23:40 pm
Which part of template is not good? Shapes, geometry or size?

EDIT: I have thought that what is good size for sprite? Now it is 24x24. And tileset tiles are 26x26. Which sizes you guys suggest?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 03:04:52 pm by SirSami »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 03:11:10 pm
Stick to one size (or multples of it, IE tiles of 26x26 and sprites of 26x26 AND 52x52)
Any size is possible, really, but in these modern times any game should be able to handle tiles and sprites far larger than these.

Now for that character, its completely flat and the shape suggests a top/front view combination (I don't see top of head and shoulders but the legs look like they are viewed a bit from top).

Offline SirSami

• View Profile
    • Minioid game studio

Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 03:45:02 pm
Stick to one size (or multples of it, IE tiles of 26x26 and sprites of 26x26 AND 52x52)
Any size is possible, really, but in these modern times any game should be able to handle tiles and sprites far larger than these.

Now for that character, its completely flat and the shape suggests a top/front view combination (I don't see top of head and shoulders but the legs look like they are viewed a bit from top).

What do you meant "26x26 AND 52x52"?