AuthorTopic: Another portrait  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Another portrait

on: November 10, 2007, 03:46:42 am
This is my first shot at a Pixeljoint weekly challenge type thing:

Pimento Jim, the food warrior with the head of a, well, pimento.

Sadly, I only have a passing knowledge of anatomy so I'm sure that there are problems much deeper than his three fingered digits...  Also, working with only ten colors was kinda difficult for me, so I eagerly await what y'all have to say.

Uh, never mind him...  Here's a new portrait I've made (well, actually an older one that I've edited) of Schleiden, a botanist who did stuff with cell theory.

I referenced this picture: http://home.datacomm.ch/biografien/images/schleiden.jpg
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:05:31 am by Redshrike »

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Re: Another portrait

Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 10:12:39 pm
Well, here's another portrait that I've made; 'twas a request from a guy I know.

ref

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Re: Another portrait

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 11:19:39 pm
Both the portraits look good, good volumes and contrast. Doing studies like these will teach you a lot and you'll evolve your skills quickly! Also, the idea of working in gray allows you to establish good volumes first without worrying about

The ever elusive likeness isn't completely there, mostly because some of the proportions aren't right (distance between eyes, distance from eyes to mouth, nose length, mouth length to jaw length ratio, etc). These are frequently hard to achieve, requiring intensive tweaking.

The second portrait misses the head's tilt on the positioning of the features: the eyes, nose and mouth are horizontal, while the head is tilted to the side, so they should be placed accordingly. Also, each eye seems to be looking at it's own spot: play with their highlights and reposition the iris' so they are looking at the same point.

Do a similar study on a muscled guy, then go back to your initial pumpkin- i mean, pimento- dude, and you'll be able to self correct most of the anatomy issues (proportions are okay, but muscle groups aren't great, lightsource doesn't show very well and colors don't work with each other, try some saturation and hue variation between shades of same colors).