AuthorTopic: Our pixelly retro beat 'em up game  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Madgarden

• View Profile

Our pixelly retro beat 'em up game

on: November 22, 2007, 01:58:47 am
How about a retro-styled beat'em'up in the same vein as Double Dragon, River City Ransom, etc.? But with vegetables...

Tom the Tomato 2!

We (Elias Pschernig and I) just submitted this game for the Allegro "Retrohack" competition, which finished a few nights ago. The restrictions for the competition were based on a library which simulated some old hardware. Such things as limited sprite memory, simplistic sound synthesis, and a restricted colour palette were hard requirements for the game.

DOWNLOAD

It's not the best screenshot, as Tom is getting the beat-down by a couple of carrots, but you get the idea.

I've wanted to explore some beatemup concepts for a while, so this was a fun project. We shared various coding tasks (Elias on the technical-side, and gameplay/animation/sound etc. for myself). And yes, the pixel art is all my doing. :crazy:

Anyhow, enjoy, and feel free to pick away and/or critique if you like. ;)

Paul
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 05:24:53 am by Madgarden »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Our pixelly retro beat 'em up game

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 02:27:41 am
Some simple shadows would be nice.

Will try it out tomorrow, now i need to sleeeeeeeep.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Madgarden

• View Profile

Re: Our pixelly retro beat 'em up game

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 02:48:35 am
Some simple shadows would be nice.

And how! There's a lot of stuff I didn't get to add, alas. Now that the compo is over, we are free to tweak it up a bit!

You can press TAB though to get a slow-mo debug mode with bounding boxes and a "shadow" that shows zero-ground. Not quite the same, I know. ;)