Garo

on: November 08, 2007, 01:34:41 pm
Garo from Garo movie c + c appreciated  :D

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Re: Garo

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 04:32:59 pm
 :y:
A great piece with the right colours and style. The pose and anatomy of the knight are perfect, but some of his shiny metal pieces are a little strange.
  • The sword seems too wide, relative to the flares at the end; probably it's true to the source (I remember this particular sword being even bigger) and the flares need some exaggeration.
  • The gold, light grey and dark grey shading on the grey blade and other details of the sword are a little too random and asymmetrical, making the sword less shiny and elegant than it should be.
  • In particular, the two golden spots near the edge are at different distances and the tip of the white spine in the middle is bent. The hilt and flares are also tilted and asymmetrical.
  • The feet are curiously tall (the nails are almost vertical), a shortening of one or two pixels would avoid any impression of short stature compensation.
  • In the lower part of the right leg, the white band is bent inwards; the left counterpart is straight (but narrower and collapsing to a vertical 1-pixel bar of highlight). 
  • The right shoulder piece is definitely larger then the left one. An excess of perspective? I see the bands are aligned at 4px rather than 3px intervals, maybe they didn't look good at more correct sizes?

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 05:16:35 pm
Trying to make some of the corrections I suggested (mainly sword and feet) I realized that I don't understand the shadows and outlines; they don't seem consistent (where does the light come from? What's with the use of light and dark metal in the sword?)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 07:05:24 pm
You're using pure black single pixels here and there to convey a line, I think black is too harsh and the pixels look like holes or noise. Use another shade before black to convey the detail you need with more full lines, I'd say.