AuthorTopic: Animation  (Read 3239 times)

Offline yyboyyy96

• View Profile

Animation

on: September 28, 2020, 08:38:17 pm
Any Tips?

I like the simplistic cartoonish style and its size.

V1

V2

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 09:08:10 pm by yyboyyy96 »

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

Re: Animation

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 10:30:54 pm
You could make his right arm go more foward while the left arm hold in back for the height of lance doesn't force to down or make his right arm hold in the middle of the cable for the height be equally distributed.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 10:43:25 pm
I like the character style, but the motion feels unfinished since the character never finishes their step forward and there's no overshooting or any secondary motion to give the attack any force.

Depending on the character's personality, you may also want to keep their eye visible in all the frames. Expected fighters generally keep their eyes on their opponent as much as possible instead of twirling unnecessarily.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 06:21:24 pm
It's a cute little dude but like I've recommend to most people on here, and seeing what you've posted thus far for years (since 2014) on here, yyboyyy96 I'd recommend you learn more about drawing and painting (drawing is more important) fundamentals. Those help greatly with animation, and speaking of animation... I've only done a little bit on animation, did some ball dropping and basic rotation stuff, but I can definitely see you're lacking in knowledge on that subject. There's no anticipation here, no sense of timing or of importance of one part of the animation over the other; it doesn't feel complete.

The good news is there are plenty of either free or cheap resources for learning fundamentals. Proko is great and has plenty of resources for drawing. Aaron Blaise has an animation course that sometimes goes on sale, at one point it was $1 or if you can afford it pay the full price (pretty cheap all things considered) but I'd recommend working on drawing before animation.

Strong art fundamentals will easily transfer over to pixel work (but in my opinion, doesn't really transfer as well when it's the other way around). Most of the critique you're going to get at the moment is going to relate to this.

Offline yyboyyy96

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 09:07:45 pm

So I tried to make it more feel finished

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 05:41:25 am
The attack is very weak.  It seems like a few steps into a short swiping attack.  I would do 4 frames for a walk and 4 frames for the attack.

Here's more of a stabbing attack I was messing with: