AuthorTopic: Rukia  (Read 7112 times)

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Rukia

on: November 08, 2007, 10:22:22 am
This is something I had drawn a while ago. :D
I drew it on paper first, because I wasn't planning on making it a pixelart, but I was bored, I guess. ^^;;

I know the shirt is... ugh. D: But I'm still trying to figure out how to shade clothes and such.
I know it's not really what the lot of you are used to seeing, and probably would rather not... ^^;;;;... but I can't really do the things you people do.
So, uhhh... anyways. xD;;
Crits are welcomed~

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Re: Rukia

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:11:12 am
The face looks a bit skewed, like her right eye is further away from the nose than her left eye, and awkwardly huge

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 11:33:31 am
I think you have a very nice pallete. in some locations I would have liked to see a bit of AAing, like around the eye or around the clamp of hair that comes down across the face.
but other then that I think its a nice piece
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:39:08 am
I like the bird most! :)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:07:40 pm
charming piece Aelyrin... a refreshing change from muscle bound men, swords and guns... :D (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Whether you're a fan of the anime style or not... this is well rendered, but, as Kazuya Mochu pointed out you seemed to have missed AA in places. You seem to not be wanting to antialias color areas against themselves... so you're getting quite harsh jaggies, I'm looking at the bow against the  white of the shirt and flesh tones - the black of the hair against the flesh tones. the flesh tones against the shirt... perhaps you haven't defined the transitional colours between these areas?

Speaking of pallette I think it could be brought together a little more perhaps, right now all the color scales seem to fighting for attention and there's no cohesiveness to it... I'd be inclined to choose a general color tint to apply to the hilights across all your color ramps that suggest a light source... and inversely a unified color for yourr shadows... (the dark shades of the skin (For example) tend toward bluey, purple - yet the shirt shadow is regular grey)

but that asides... very nice piece.
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Fingerfoods

• Barq's Root Beer is delicious
    • View Profile
    • fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 04:57:30 pm
Her head is way too wide. :O It wasn't even that fat in the show. And if you remove the hair, she seems to be missing a large portion of head.

The colors are very nice, though. <3
Follow my blog!
fingerfoods.tumblr.com

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 06:12:54 pm
i usually don't do these, because i hate it when people do them with my own work, but i really just did this to see for myself what a pinch of resizing and reshaping would do for this piece. now, i don't think i'm any kind of expert, but:

shrug?  :D

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 06:59:04 am
Hmm. I hadn't thought about my palettes being off or.. clashing or whatever. And I'm not sure how to AA. I mean, I know how to do it, but I kinda figured each piece should be kinda separate or something.
And yea, I knew her head was weird. @___@;; I had flipped it over to see how it looked, and I quickly flipped it back lollll. Wasn't sure how to fix it, but I'll try~
But about those pictures... >___> See, I wasn't trying to draw it in the style of the manga/show.

Anyways, thanks for the pointers and I'll try to work on it some more. 8D;;

Offline Ricco, the Pirate

• Yarrrr
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 02:33:27 pm
Very cool! I don't like how her left eye is right now, it just seems to be in the weirdest shape, giving the impression that her nose goes all the way to hide a part of that eye, when in fact, it doesn't.