AuthorTopic: Running animation  (Read 4833 times)

Offline skeddles

• I love these emoticons.
    • View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Running animation

on: November 07, 2007, 01:04:40 am
Hope it's ok to have 2 topics. This hopefully for our next game.
And, of course, I suck at animations, so I gotta start practicing.

I started by making a wire frame looking thing:

and heres the guy that will be running:

^rough sketch ;D^

I need to know if this looks good(my first running animation besides ).
And any suggestions for the sprite? That pose most likely wont be used, but whatever.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: Running animation

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 09:34:04 am
not a bad start... but you have some Strobing issues...

Don't forget, there's hips to consider too... when making the stick man, put a horizontal line in at the base of the spine... at the end of this line will be your the ball joints for the hips... roughly speaking, hips rotate forward to back and tilt up and down, so give this line some motion like that...

The shoulders will do the same - but opposite.

you need an extra 2 frames in there too... (I'll knock an edit up soon and post it)

Nice work.

EDIT:

note:

- I' ve Added 2 frames (frames 3&7)... I've 'broken the joint' on purpose to try and emphasise the foot stomping on the floor, this is a common technique in cel animation as a way to emphasise things in less frames... it might look a bit weird as a standalone frame but it helps animation read more 'snappier' - if you donm't like it by all means remove the broken joint and replace with a regular tween.

- I've consolidated the leg 'bone' lengths as they were a bit inconsistent in places. I'll point out that I've made teh upper legs shorter than the lower legs on purpose to give the character a bit more of a ganglier feel (which is what I was getting from your sample sprite and you initial anim. [perhaps I've misinterpreted that but... hey ho, tis done now...])

- I've added the foot shapes as feet are really important to the overall feel of a walk/run loop, depending on which way they bend can influence the reading of the sequence... plus it adds a nice bit of secondary motion that always looks good in animation.

- I've made a rudimentary attempt at trying to illustrate the hip/pelvic motion... I'm not 100% happy with it but hopefully you get the idea.

And that's it.

I hope this helps...

Incidentally, I've always admired that little dog of yours. Judging your skills based on that I think you understand animation a lot more thatn you may think...

I look forward to seeing how this develops.

:)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 11:41:36 am by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com