AuthorTopic: pixeljoint weekly challenge  (Read 11640 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

pixeljoint weekly challenge

on: November 06, 2007, 10:58:33 pm

"a warrior with humanoid body but fruit or vegetable for head"

c+c?  i know there's a spot i missed some AA already :X
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: pixeljoint weekly challenge

Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 11:01:51 pm
That is quite wonderful! Finally a cohesive palette from you! (some shades burn still, but ok). This works great on the forum bg color, but would it on another one? If you're going to aa to bg color, don't set it to transparent, just select a color and do it on that.

There is a slight balance issue I think. He should be falling backwards, especially with that huge bat.

Also, huge bat. Could use some shortening.

One of my favourite b-movies.

edit: Wee, critique! The contours of the pants are overaaed.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:03:52 pm by Helm »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:37:49 am
heh, i always have to have at least a couple burning colors, don't i?  the blue is the only one i'd really consider over the line, but you're right that some others come close. (edit - actually the red-to-gray on the bat is pretty obnoxious too, isn't it?)

the AA can be toned down, originally was worked for having a background scene but then realized that the rules mandated transparent bg. 

I already submitted it (a bit prematurely), but that's no reason not to rework this copy.  Do you think his left leg should be pushed back, or that his shoulders should come forward? (or both)?

PSEDIT: zoom function seems gone, maybe a side-effect of restoring the board yesterday?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 01:42:08 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 01:56:21 am
legs pushing back a few pixels should do it I think. Consider his center of gravity.

and yeah zoom script broken because of HAXX

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 02:30:20 am
this is pretty badass.  my only beef is some of your detail work where the stalk joins with the chest hints at some pseudo-facial features, and the right pectoral seems about a pixel high, making it read a bit like his arm is coming straight out of his chest there.  Otherwise, great values and contrast, gorgeous colors, all around rock solid!

And yea, zooming is busted.  I fixed it this morning, along with the PM text notification, but something with the file IDs is messed so I can't upload the fixes to the server...

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 04:48:25 am
Could you be persuaded to make a version with a pallete like 'fool' does, nothing fancy like brown pants with green highlights, just basics brown highlight on brown pants. Imo its a great piece but your random colors detract from it. Even more so with your tiles, just think it makes it harder to work out what things are.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 05:37:40 am
we were restricted to 10 colors for this, else i wouldn't have mixed the way I did.  Fool tends to use that many colors in a single ramp, and seldom combines.

As far as tiles are concerned, it's a little hard to speak to those, since there are none in this thread, but the only ones i've done in the last several months http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/20669.htm i thought were very straightforward in the application of color.

And what do you mean by "random"?  Even the larger jumps between colors are choices.  Your welcome to disagree with my choice, but calling it "random" frustrates me to no end.  I like to take credit for my work, good or bad.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 05:41:28 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 06:19:42 am
I said it was a great piece, sorry if you got offended. I didn't realise that it was a restricted pallete.

Yes I meant those tiles. For some reason I assumed that these tiles wouldn't follow color restrictions either.

By not 'random' I mean use colors in a single ramp that follow reality more closely. Take the roof of buliding. Roofs are made of tiles. Tiles are made of stone or lead right, so I would draw a roof with grey colors. Everyone has different tastes but I think for realistic colors would be better. If you're using restrictions then forget what i said. I should have said 'unrealistic' colors.

edit: heres what I mean about using ramps which don't mix too much, imo this is more readible and uses same no. of colors, although colors are not realistic in this case. Ideally I would prefer more colors and make it more 'fool' like, but there is that restriction on colors.
-->10 colors-->more colors

edit2: I just wanted to make myself clear.  I think the original is better because of the details and the unrealistic pallete is the only way you keep those details like the shoes. This edit is to show what kind of a pallete i prefer. My point is that i dont agree with using low color palletes like adarias's when you have a choice.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:32:09 pm by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 07:47:42 am
i liked adarias version better :P its more detailed
as i said on pixeljoint when i commented, i like it really much :D
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 10:49:53 am
sharprm, in my opinion both versions you made suffer from bad color choice (realism has nothing to do with it) and I find Adarias' original way more pleasing to the eye, restrictions or not. I'll be the first to say Adarias mixes colors where they can't live together, but even with the problems this practise creates, it still creates a cohesion that is far more welcome that 'RED STUFF IS REDS. GREEN STUFF IS GREENS' like you've got going now. I don't know even if fool, who you say you'd like to see more people color like would agree with what you did here with pulling the ramps towards disparate ends.

Your edits look like dos-era pixel art, when artists moved on to unrestricted color access in their vga cards from ega but didn't have the color theory to support their switch and ended up using all these many colors like a 'color inside the lines coloring book'. Red here. Green there. If you study the masters you'll see most great paintings are made with a relatively tight palette, just like we do with pixel art. This is why learning to work with few colors isn't just an anachronistic leftover from when we had to, but a valid artistic effort. It keeps things cohesive. I have a habit of looking at a scene in real life, and counting how many colors I'd need to create the variety that my eye catches. It's not often I count more than 16