AuthorTopic: Sohei's works  (Read 13396 times)

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: Sohei's works

Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 07:53:30 pm
 :o

Let me be the first to drop my jaw!
i

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 10:29:07 pm
Wow. The background is very well done indeed. I would add a lot more texture to the sand, though. The only points where the sand looks like sand is when it's around barrels, or the ship. Add hills, and dips. Try to make the sand look more natural.The same could be said for the wood, it would probably vary in color a little, and would definitely have a texture.I would try and bring that across in your wood. The water on the other hand, is quite well done. As for the evil mobster, he is look surprisingly KKK-ish. Not that that is bad, just something I noticed. At any rate, I greatly look forward to seeing this progress.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 10:40:01 pm
I wouldn't post normally but this is really anoying me. This is a FANTASTIC peice. But you've got some fundemental wrongs with your lighting. The majority of the background is lit from the top right corner, alal the barrels and peices of driftwood are done this way. The ships lighting however is coming from who knows where! You have shadows infront of and behind the ship. Then the characters have their shadows from directly above.

I think you need to consolidate your lightsources and figure out just where you want it to come from. Other than that i'd say it's a fantastic peice! : )

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 11:01:45 pm
i dunno, i saw that lighting as being down and just a bit away from the prow......i thought the positioning actually added form rather than breaking it.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 11:07:29 pm
The background is amazing. The only things I would do is fill up all that blank space you have on the right. You could do so much with that beach.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 11:58:29 pm
i dunno, i saw that lighting as being down and just a bit away from the prow......i thought the positioning actually added form rather than breaking it.

You do have a point... But the differance between the direct strong light from above on the characters and the slanted light on the background is stark.

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 10:55:01 pm
Thank you, guys!
 I've looked at this background the other day and thought that it was all clumsy and inappropriate to develop.
Now I'm working on something else.
I'd like to show my trees and ask your advice.
So far, this is the best trees I'm able to make. I'm pretty happy with general concept and form, but in detail they lack something.

Also, along with this, it happen  to resurrect my very old project. I've made new background and ground tiles.
The colors of the mountains seem not right, but I can't come with anything to fix it.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 11:08:58 pm
Gorgeous trees, but very gruesome!

The Japanese scene is super, but I think a little too flat and overdetailed in terms of the textures.

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 12:01:35 pm
happymonster, thank you!

A new upd:

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #29 on: December 13, 2007, 01:29:23 pm
Woah. I absolutely adore those trees! I would say the second one looks unbalanced. It has a big thick trunk and very little foliage (leaves). Either make the trunk thinner, or add more leaves.

The first tree could use deeper shadow in the leaves, like a dark blue. Both pieces could really benefit from some AA; there's some noisy pixels about in a number of places, especially on the trunks. I notice that on the second tree the distant bodies are darkened. Perhaps use the same effect on the branches to give more depth to the tree.

Still, its some beautiful work and mainly just needs polish, well done.