AuthorTopic: Face (WIP)  (Read 10364 times)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Face (WIP)

Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 08:22:27 am
Random white pixels!
Also, something is bugging me about the top left of the cap.
 I don't think those darker pixels should extend past the band-part on the light side of the cap?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline boojiboy

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 09:00:03 am
update:

Have I overdone the dithering? I think I'm starting to look like a lego man.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 12:53:00 pm by boojiboy »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 03:40:22 pm
Yes you've overdone the dithering. Dithering is used to show texture and bridge between two colors and as a very very abstract and generic rule of thumb, all things considered, should occupy one third as much as solid areas of color occupy in the piece, max. I would define the volumes more in your piece and worry about smoothing things out with dithering later.

However great progress thus far, interested to see where this one ends.

Offline boojiboy

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 04:49:19 am
Should I start from the beginning at line art? I'm finding it really hard choosing a good color combination.
Anyone know an appropriate palette for this type of drawing?

Offline boojiboy

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 05:31:47 am
update:
Before I go any further, how do you think this is turning out?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 06:04:31 am by boojiboy »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 06:50:12 am
wow you're sure determained to get this right, im liking your views on this you obviously have the vision for what you want it to be but are just trying to find out the right way to do it. You really just need more concentrate on your forms, its like you're placing colours without full thought to how a face would react to light..

I like the version that was overdithered, apart from it being overdithered its got a lot of promise, the latest one is hitting some complicated lighting which really messes with the volumes. I think if you just blobbed everything out it would be simplier to construct and you'd be able to adjust the palette accordingly and make full sense of why you're doing it. I'll make an example just for kicks and giggles;

Im most likely going for a different approach than you but I'd stick to your style of mind, work out a set of colours that steadily drop to black, with no jumps or dramatic changes in hue. And place in your shades using the palette to build the characters form, very roughly done mind you. no fancy dithering or AA, just keep in mind your light source and trying to think 3 dimensionally, I'd also use your shades to replicate the beard from your sketch by bleeding the skin into the beard making way for hair detailing later, dont be afraid to break out of just colouring in the lines.

If you want hue shifts and dramatic lighting work on the form first and then work in alternative colours and trial new things.

Any dithering or AA should be done when you're happy with your forms, AAing mostly for finalising then whatever changes you need to make.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 09:25:58 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline boojiboy

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 11:50:19 am
Great advice man, thanks heaps. Especially with the beard, that's exactly what I wanted but I didn't even thinking of doing it like that.
Even with drawing I jump too far ahead and start adding detail too early. I'll take your advice and work on a new approach soon.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 12:01:23 pm
How about?

On a side note, I noticed that when you opt to change the light suddenly all your volumes change (f.ex. cheeks). Try to make it look like the same face.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:04:40 pm by ilkke »
i

Offline boojiboy

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 01:43:26 pm
Looks great ilkke, that's exactly what I'm going for. Reminds me of A scanner darkly.
Assuming I understand what you mean about the volumes, it was intentional. When I changed the colors I wanted to change the volumes so that it resembled myself a little more.

Offline boojiboy

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 05:59:48 am
update:

How's it looking?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 08:16:17 am by boojiboy »