AuthorTopic: animation woes - walking base  (Read 5378 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

animation woes - walking base

on: November 04, 2007, 10:00:16 pm

meant for use on characters with a much higher level of detail, possibly for hand-drawn characters, just shrunken for ease of placement.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 10:03:54 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: animation woes - walking base

Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 10:15:48 pm
I think it looks nice but also I think the character is kicking to hard with the leg going front. maybe if you anticipated that by geting the knee a bit more to the front it would be nicer.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:00:57 am by Kazuya Mochu »
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 10:20:41 pm
I agree with kazuya, also, it seems like her left arm doesn't swing in as wide an arc as her right

both of the arms are swinging at awkward distances from the body, actually

perhaps too much time where the foot is just sliding back?  seems like that part should go quicker

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:23:17 am
Nice work Adarias. It looks very convincing.
Perhaps the pelvis is trusted forward a bit too much giving the spine a rather strange arc.
Together with the wide placement of the feet it looks like he's carrying a box if you see what I mean.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 04:26:40 pm
I've been looking at this for ages now trying to figure out why it's not working for me... it's to do with the amount of frames you're dedicating to the grounded foot...To me it looks like the grounded feet are on the floor for 1 frame too many and inversley the swinging forward foot isn't in the air along enough... it snaps back to the start quite awkwardly.

Perhaps you may want to revise how long each foot remains planted for? I think if you reduce the length by 1 frame (not physically drop frames) then use that to increase the air time by 1?

It's tricky to tell but there's something not quite right there?

I've done a really quick hacky edit on that front leg to try and illustrate this...

now I've looked closely at it, you've got an issue with the arm swing in relation to the legs...

you've got the arms swinging in a nice 4 frame forward 4 frame back... but the legs are on the ground for 5 and in the air for 3... which is causing a visual clash around the point the arms are at their most extreme... it's really tricky to describe, but visually it's creating a weird sense of time displacement... it's like the arms are 1 step ahead of the legs and then they synch up again only to go out of synch...

on a positive note, the shapes are nice and you've got a good feel of mass but you need to address that weird out of synch thing...

I hope that helps?
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 06:12:01 pm
Also, I'm not exactly sure others will agree, but her further hand looks odd when it pops out like that during the walk. It looks more like it goes in a straight arc than in an arc and bend somewhat normally like her more visible one.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 09:33:05 pm
Is it supposed to be isometric? Because you're adding perspective to the character in a way that doesn't match the angle of the tile she's walking on. The feet are only touching half of the tile with her left foot in the center of the tile. The left arm look much smaller than the right arm, and it looks like it's shrinking out of sight.

I also agree with Bacca. I tried walking like that character and I had a hard time syncing it.

Her left arm, does it move straight at the view plane? That could explain some of the distortion Ryan is talking about but I still think it needs work.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 11:01:30 pm
robotacon - could yoou be more specific about the angle issues?  the character is not centered on the tile, but i didn't notice it moving out of perspective.  The arm............i don't want to disagree with a critique but i don't honestly see that.

the rest - im reading and taking mental notes, particularly about frame usage and arc distances.  will update soon.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 02:55:35 am
There is something... off... about the animation. Instead of him walking in a nice balanced stride he walks at a heartbeat pace,  1-2, 1-2 ,1-2. Am I the only one seeing it this way?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 03:03:15 am
yeah, i think that's the 3-5 timing that bacca was referencing
A mistake is a mistake.