AuthorTopic: monster thing  (Read 2351 times)

Offline skeddles

• I love these emoticons.
    • View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

monster thing

on: November 06, 2007, 02:43:51 am

So heres what i'm working on now. I'm really going out on a limb doing something so big, but hopefully you guys will help me to not fall of the limb and break my face.

Its a little alien monster. I want it to be kinda scary, but the way its going, it doesn't really fit into that catagory. What can I do to change that. Any shading suggestions? I was just gonna go with something like what i did a couple weeks ago.

I think the colors are a bit too happy too. How can I keep the contrast high but keep it creepy? I want to stay around the green/brown/black region. Well, any suggestions/precautions/concerns/otherthings are well appreciated.

EDIT: I decided to do a little texture test on his neck, here it is:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 02:58:56 am by skeddles »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: monster thing

Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 04:52:21 pm
It lacks flow...or proper looking proportions....or both.  If you are going to stick with the wonky proportions you currently have, at the very least, make it a bit more dynamic.  Your last piece suffered this too--it's far too stiff; the neck feels kinked and unnatural, the head seems uncomfortably tilted, the shoulders are at near perfect right angles, and the rest of the body seems...tired...and poofy, as if they were pillows or something.  It can't be stressed enough: you need to study real life more often.
BUT, this is good that you are pushing yourself to go big, just hope that you refine as much as you would a small sprite....
The colors right now, just aren't doing it for me.  I think they are rather bland, have fun and experiment a bit :P not all alien monsters are lime green.  But that's personal preference I guess.

Anyways, good luck.  :y:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.