AuthorTopic: Doll work in progress..  (Read 7424 times)

Offline Soleil

• View Profile

Doll work in progress..

on: November 04, 2007, 04:06:50 am
Hi, I'm sorry if I do anything wrong but it's my first time posting.  OK....so I am making a pixel doll of a character of mine who is based on me..but before I get on to the clothes I would just like to know if there is anything to fix up on the template first.

I used Wayuki's tutorial on how to make a doll base, and my only real question is if everything looks right before I put clothes and hair on it... :-\
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 04:19:03 am by Soleil »

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Re: Doll work in progress..

Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 01:43:44 pm

Wayuki's tutorial teaches how to draw a north-american comic book kind of gal. Tooth-pick waist and all.
Yours is much better, anatomically speaking. The not-so-wide hips and high waist line are characteristics found in some real women. The breasts look natural and implant-free!
Anyway: looks like you're determined to draw real woman and me likes it a lot.

There is room for improvement, though. I would love to see any reference pics (if any) just to determine how to help. Since you're a first timer, let me warn you that if you drew over a photo (traced), you'll cause havoc in the forum. If that's the case, please tell us now.

Now for the improvements:

Although you're character isn't muscular, in my experience body builder photos are pretty helpful because they're an exaggeration of what we want achieve by showing us what would just be subtle skin curves on less strong people. So here are some pointers:

1. Light source: I'll be assuming it's coming from the "camera", slightly left-top. Not really clear at this point.
2. Belly muscles:  Check out the muscle woman on the left. See how these are protruded (light!) instead of shaded?
3. Pectoral muscles: They actually form a seamless volume along with the breasts, shaped like a upside-down coma. Although I have already mentioned the shape of your character's breasts are gorgeous, the lighting once again seems kind of out of place.
4. Face: It's the only area that actually reminds me of Wayuki's tutorial. In a bad way... Mouth is too low, nose too long, eyes are too big. That, assuming you're after a natural look, since the body seems to have been built that way.

Anyway, just let me know if you want an edit. I'd be more than whiling to do it.

Cheers,
-Stefano

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 02:49:16 pm
To me it's very obvious this is photo-referenced or traced (you can tell by the combination of unsteady, unsure lines, and the very good representation of realistic form. These two do not occur at the same time naturally. Look at the hands especially)

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 02:56:28 pm
Or it was drawn by hand (either with wacom on MSpaint and 1px size brush or traced from a hand drawn scan)

Offline DavidCarney

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 03:41:21 pm
Or it was drawn by hand (either with wacom on MSpaint and 1px size brush or traced from a hand drawn scan)
Which is a trace...

Well, it looks like every other doll base out there, honestly.  You should try to strive for better than that and add some personality to the piece.  Make it your own.

Offline Soleil

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 10:29:37 pm
I'll post the drawing I made later tonight once I can get to my camera....but DavidCarney said I should add some personality to it....what would you mean by that?  Would you mean that I should add a personal touch to it...or more of a dynamic pose?

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:41:24 pm
Drawing in MSpaint with a wacom isn't a trace

Offline DavidCarney

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 11:38:29 pm
I'll post the drawing I made later tonight once I can get to my camera....but DavidCarney said I should add some personality to it....what would you mean by that?  Would you mean that I should add a personal touch to it...or more of a dynamic pose?
The pose is one of the main things, it's all about what you want to do with it.  I don't know much about dolls and stuff, but what I do know is every single one I see is in the same static pose, with the same style.  If realism is what you are striving for, you've reached it, but as an artist, you might think about changing the pose and giving the character distinct traits that define her.

Offline Soleil

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 02:04:06 am
Well, in this one my whole goal was pretty much just to show me, and I'm not too good at drawing things other than stuff like that pose there, though I am working on being able to make them a little more interesting...The next one I do, I will make sure to make the pose more interesting and involved.

Here is the original sketch I used...

and here is an updated version of what the doll looks like..  Also, in response to Stefano, I thank you for your input, and I have tried to adjust the nose, and mouth (I actually enjoy having some cartoon-esque aspects to what I do, as with the eyes; I guess it's my 'thing')..does it look better or worse this time around?  Oh, and I was wondering how the hair and necklace look. -- If I am asking too much or something, please do tell me..I don't like being a bother to people-- :-\

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 02:14:00 am by Soleil »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 09:38:18 am
shouldn't this thread have a NUDITY warning? I'm coming over all flushed!?
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com