AuthorTopic: Building - BURN effect  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Titan

• If you never try then you'll never know
    • View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Building - BURN effect

on: November 03, 2007, 12:58:45 pm
I drew some buildings for a Strategy game i was working with a friend,
and i tryed this burn effect, some artists told me it spoils the whole thing,
now what do pixel artists think?

Barracks :

Store House :

Offline 1st

• Noet
    • View Profile

Re: Building - BURN effect

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 01:18:28 pm
yes, it spoils the whole thing.
Max 300; characters remaining: 266

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 01:19:35 pm
   Well, if it's graphics for a game, and time is of the essence, then whatever gets the job done should be fine. HOWEVER, in the world of true pixel art, the burn tool isn't exactly a tool widely accepted by users. In fact, tools like the burn tool and tools like it, where the program decides where to place each pixel, are practically forbidden and taboo. It's fine for high res digital art, but for pixel art, you might wanna' invest in more patience, rather than allowing the tools to do most of your work.
my back hurts...

Offline DavidCarney

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 01:41:20 pm
   Well, if it's graphics for a game, and time is of the essence, then whatever gets the job done should be fine. HOWEVER, in the world of true pixel art, the burn tool isn't exactly a tool widely accepted by users. In fact, tools like the burn tool and tools like it, where the program decides where to place each pixel, are practically forbidden and taboo. It's fine for high res digital art, but for pixel art, you might wanna' invest in more patience, rather than allowing the tools to do most of your work.

Agreed, they really don't look terrible at all and don't "ruin" it for me, but conceptually pixel art is about having complete control over every pixel.
To me it's all about deadlines and volume.
Do you have to make tons of these, or so you have short deadlines?  If so, to maintain a consistent style, I would actually support this.
If you have lots of time, and not too many to do, I'd suggest placing pixels using your super-advanced brain tool which knows what will look better, as opposed to a paint program's algorithms. :crazy:

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 01:56:28 pm
I think the burning is ok but what I truly dislike are the 50/50 dithering shadows. You'd better use a solid color.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 05:29:48 pm
Whoa, that looks sick! That must be a lot of time consuming! I think some cracks on the roof could make it more catchy. Or some texture in the woods. Good luck!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 05:31:17 pm
the only thing i think these really need is an understanding of functional architecture.  Why is that always missing in games??  I agree about the dithering - if you are going to use smooth burn tools, why use shitty pixel shadows?

And yeah, this isn't pixel art, so there's no ruining going on except in that it will never really belong at these boards.  take the time and effort to pixel those values and we'll be glad to help you.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Titan

• If you never try then you'll never know
    • View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 05:45:11 pm
Alright then, i see most of the people agree, burn tool isnt the thing for pixel art,

and about the shadow, umm it actualy really works for the out look of the game, i actualy saw this shadow in a really old game, thought of trying it, hah

but anyway, thanks people  :D

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 06:01:25 pm
it's used many games including Civilization and Age of Empires: Age of Kings and looks just as bad there as it does here :P

it's not a matter of it not being the "thing" for pixl-art, it's a matter of it not being pixel art.  In pixel art, every pixel should be determined by hand.  the burn tool and any other filter negates this, therefor it is not longer pixel art, just low-res, jagged CG.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 06:14:11 pm
Thing with Burn (and Dodge) is that they are not good for many things unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. There are no black shadows and it just looks odd, even as a discolouring. It looks dead and unnatural. So choosing some pleasing buffer and tint colours goes a long way.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.