AuthorTopic: Pixelation is not Joke, Need Help Please?  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Messenger

• View Profile

Pixelation is not Joke, Need Help Please?

on: November 02, 2007, 03:43:08 am
Hi, i'm new to this thread and been following Samurais guide for pixeling a fighter sprite(which is absolutely good tutorial),
i'd just want to ask if there is a fast easy tutorial or a good way to make a fighter character (kinda KOF or streetfighter) from a sketch to pixel? (if there is a link, can anyone link me there?)
I only have a month to do this for my class, Thank you

-Messenger

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Pixelation is not Joke, Need Help Please?

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 05:24:25 am
well, if that's all you're looking for, http://www.spriteart.com/tutorials/03_fighter_sprite.html is a nice quicky, as is http://www.zoggles.co.uk/asp/tutorials.asp?tut=17&page=67 .

if you are looking for more help than that, advise is offered in the pixel art section for works in progress, or we can direct you in ways of creating artwork outside step-by-step tutorials (concep tual learning YAY!!!  contex tual learning BOO!!!)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Messenger

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 06:32:17 am
Hi, thank you for replying,
And that first link you gave me is the one ive been following but is wacom tablet necessary for that? Id just finished modeling out the whole character stance with plain gray shade, no colors or dark value yet though and it took me more than 20 mins with mouse =(

Thank you also for that 2nd link, i guess i'll have to do that one so i can animate my character movements easily. I'll try continue it tomorrow while at school and post up the concept and the sprite. Thank you again =)

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 07:03:35 am
The tablet isn't necessary at all for any pixel art, but some artists find it easier to use than the mouse (faster, more precise, less RSI). However, using a mouse is perfectly fine, and I'm sure it is what many artists on these boards use.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 03:36:34 pm
... it took me more than 20 mins with mouse =( ...
If you're dismayed by taking 20 minutes to make a base for a sprite, you need to develop some patience.  Especially when just starting, pixel art (or any art at all for that matter) takes a while to get right.  Once you're more adept, things start to go more quickly, but you will still need patience, as art usually does not come quickly.  Good luck with your sprite, hope to see you stick around!
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Messenger

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 09:57:44 pm
Question: I saw those street fighter sprite movements, the walk phase took like 5-7 sprites, i'd just want to ask if those professionals draw each sprites one by one, or do they have some kind of a special program for that? I mean, most combo specials in there took like over 15 sprites or 20.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 10:32:24 pm
well, you've hit the nail on the head there mate:

TIME IS EVERYTHING IN GAME PRODUCTION

there are several common ways to save time while producing a passable product:

"character base" method - create a single cycle for all or most animations, then place clothing and features over it for each set.  This typically is used in character-heavy games like RPG's where you need many people to perform the same actions.

"elite group" method - do every frame for every character with 100% love, BUT only make a few.  This is usually used in fighter games where they need a small cast of diverse characters.

"regimental quality" method - do tons of from-scratch unique characters with minimal frames.  A favorite of strategy games the world over.

here's the basic breakdown, handed down through the generations, of what you can have for production:

A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.