AuthorTopic: Samus Sprite Feedback  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Jmrhdb

• HelpMyGameComeTure
    • View Profile

Samus Sprite Feedback

on: September 19, 2020, 11:56:58 pm
Hello all! Hope everyones staying safe!

I'm still very new to pixel art so I wanted some feedback (and yes criticism lol) from one of my drawings of Samus from ssbu character render.

I'm terrible at shading and picking colors, but I tried my best. I also feel like it looks to shiny. I also tried to keep the size to 64x64 but I went a few pixels bigger, is that a problem?
But what do you think? What needs to be fixed? I also put an unshaded sprite incase someone else wanted to show by example.

I know there's a lot of things that should be addressed but i'm pretty much reaching my skill cap limit.

Thanks!

First drawing:

Unshaded:

(was going to include the render for Samus in Super Smash. Ultimate that I drew from, but you'll just have to google it)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 11:59:07 pm by Jmrhdb »

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Samus Sprite Feedback

Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 12:53:06 am
What you have there is something called pillow shading.  See this tutorial.  http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299
Scroll down to the pillow shading part.

Offline fskn

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 07:22:24 am
Yeah, pillow shading is the equivalent of taking a photo with the flash on. It doesn't give you great lighting.
So pick a position for your light (top left or right, bottom, etc.) but not straight at the character.

Good drawing, though, especially the silouette (which is very important for readability) and good colors, only there are IMHO too many of them. You could probably do about the same with a dozen or fewer.

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 04:48:43 pm
Yeah u are doing too much pillow shading and you pick many colors.

Pillow shading is basically you draw a object and then add another colors following the same shape to try give it a impression of 3D and your spotlight cover all sprite, difficulting in try to give a deep. However, I have not to say about the pose and sprite in general, it's good.

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 09:00:16 pm
Have a good light source define and work with the shape to create apropriate shape with the object you are shading on.

Like I said before, nice work, good proportions and pose, an example for me. U doing great, keep it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:43:00 pm by tecnologgamer »

Offline Jmrhdb

• HelpMyGameComeTure
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 12:16:34 am
Hey thanks everyone for the reply's! :)

Everyone is saying its pillow shading which is funny because I had just watch a video about shading sprites, before shading it, and they mentioned pillow shading as something different from what I did.
I also seen a sprite of Samus in Pinterest and it was sort of shaded like how I shaded my drawing, thats where I had the idea to shade it that way.

Anyway ill re-shade it again later today when I have time.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Jmrhdb

• HelpMyGameComeTure
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 12:18:49 am
Have a good light source define and work with the shape to create apropriate shape with the object you are shading on.

Like I said before, nice work, good proportions and pose, an example for me. U doing great, keep it.

Thanks for the example ill definitely keep it in mind when I try to reshade the sprite later.

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 12:22:16 am
I'm glad I may help you  :)

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 08:32:27 pm

As you've been told, there's a major amount of pillow shading going on. Try to keep things simple, have a clear distinction of light and dark values, and think about where the light is coming from. I've made a sphere to the side of Samus to show what direction the light was coming from. The image you used for reference doesn't show too strong of a distinction and if you don't understand how lighting works it can make it extra difficult. Below is an image linked that might help you-
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6f/b7/82/6fb7827e58f6a252ceaa5d7877b25476.jpg
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:31:38 am by bengo »

Offline Jmrhdb

• HelpMyGameComeTure
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 10, 2022, 05:25:03 pm
Hello everyone!

So it's been a while, I guess I never got around to re-shading the sprite all those years ago ??? Anyway I stumbled on the save file the other day and I decided to take another crack at it. And with a little more pixel experience this is what I came up with:

It could be better but I'm happy with it  :blind: