AuthorTopic: Nuke blast.  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Frankiesmileshow

• blargh
    • View Profile
    • Frankie Smile Show

Nuke blast.

on: October 29, 2007, 05:17:14 pm
A nuke bomb going off. This is going to take a while.  :blind:

Only the first few frames are finished, the rest is all just silhouettes.

I slowed it down here so you can see the frames better.

Its for flash game again.

this is my reference:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7278951069225366106

Critics and tips appreciated! The timing of the blast is what worries me the most right now, though its a little hard to see here.
shlong

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: Nuke blast.

Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 06:16:22 pm
crikey... that's ambitious!?

They really are chillingly beautifully aren't they...? sends a shiver up my spine when I see footage of Nukes detonating...

Get AKIRA out and study the smoke effects in that... they're terrific as a study aid for massive explosions and boiling masses of smoke... it's that rolling effect you really want to strive for... it's like the cloud itself takes on a life of it's own... rolling and falling and rising simultaneously...

this really is ambitious frankie... you sure it's a good idea on this scale?

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 06:29:31 pm
MAN, totally get rid of that dithering. It just makes things look fuzzy.

And try to make the sillhouette convey some of that rolling cloud-ness we all want to see in a nuke :O Later on, I guess you'll want to define major masses of materia inside of that cloud .. Gah.

I'm unsure how to go about doing it, but I'll just put my faith in you :]
' _ '

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 06:42:36 pm
MAN, totally get rid of that dithering. It just makes things look fuzzy.

I actually have to disagree. I think dithering adds a very nice and fitting texture to explosions :D
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 07:51:26 pm
perhaps, but it kills animation IMO. :(

Better animate with blobs and then create texture. Blobs are easily tweaked into niceness whereas dithering is not.

<3
' _ '

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:59:28 pm
I'd say if you're going to use dithering, use it later in the explosion when the giant dust cloud begins to wash out a bit, for example at 00:24 in the reference film when you get those subtle red-orange shifts in the lower cloud.  But in the beginning of the explosion, I'd like to see some rolling, boiling, AKIRA-like textures.  Good luck, Frankie!  Keep working!

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 09:17:21 pm

This is a really rough edit to show you what I thought was wrong with your current animation. The main problem is that you appear to have the two 'active areas,' as I'll call 'em, completely separate and thin out way too early. Really, they're continuously sucking in debris from below and darkening as more of the debris amasses into the clouds. The arrows show the basic motion of this. What I thought was odd was mostly the rather random motion yours has to it, in that not everything was flowing together as a single thing continuously growing and expanding until it eventually tapers out. I know there are some inaccuracies with mine (like the way I made the top active area grow large a bit too early than it actually does), but I think it shows my basic point about the constant motion and flow.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 09:19:08 pm by Khris »

Offline Senad

• Pixelious Danger
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 09:49:13 pm
Totoally agree with Kris, there are some good advices there !

I say take away that dithering too (at least a little bit) , it makes the piece look so strechy, I thought you used some lines instead but when I zoomed in I realized..

And that piece is pretty impressing, you are well known for ur crazy made animations dude :D !

Awesome  :lol:
God forgive him for his sins I know its was his last minute, You spread his wings so he can only fly.. He will allways be a legend in our hearts and legends never die..

R.I.P Tose Proeski ~Senad