AuthorTopic: Space Marine - Colour Experiment  (Read 8240 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Space Marine - Colour Experiment

Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 12:44:47 am
im pretty sure that this is a mortal sppace marine, not chaos spawn?  the skull on the helmet in most codex chapters represents veteran status.  a few things about the shapes:

the skulls in the painted artwork are typically represented as being fully realized skulls, not the simplified versions on the models.

the mouth piece looks like the proper width to me based on images i've seen.

the side bits of the helmet though seem much too wide, i would shrink them considerably horizontally.

I also agree that it's superstatic.  when i think of space marines, i dont think of cutout soldier mugshots, i think of the last bastions of human survival getting wrecked starship trooper style by the arachnids "tyranids" ....
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 12:53:15 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 02:07:02 am
I think that a front on type piece can still be really good for a picture of someone with a gun, makes them look like they are only there for killing.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/chaos-engine/screenshots/gameShotId,222637/

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 12:12:00 pm by Helm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 08:31:29 am
I also agree that it's superstatic.  when i think of space marines, i dont think of cutout soldier mugshots, i think of the last bastions of human survival getting wrecked starship trooper style by the arachnids "tyranids" ....[/img]

Nice sloped composition, gets the eye rolling in a good direction :]

' _ '

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 09:56:49 pm

So there you have it.
My new sketch. It's a Chaos Space Marine killing some chanceless Imperial Guards.
I hope to update soon enough with basic colours and shades.

With as most influential reference:
http://pds4.egloos.com/pds/200701/30/17/c0054317_11015689.jpg
(Man I love that pic.)

Update: Added some base stuff. Removed a few details for convenience, but they will be added back later:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 11:20:48 pm by Opacus »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 03:50:10 pm
Update time:

Still largely unfinished but getting somewhere I think?
Somewhere around 23 colours I think.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 05:23:51 pm
You do realize that the muscles in your lower arm are made to be able to turn it around its own axis, not to keep position while carrying the weigh of a human body right? (Now it's even worse because the sword gives a 'lever' effect) - I suggest you adjust the angle of the hand/sword/human so that the human is on the ground and the arm is just stretching to joust through the torso of the standing human..

If this was the intention to begin with, your perspective is off, or your sword is too thin according to the width it should have (thinking about the fact that human is the same height as the chaos marine himself).

You're improving quick indeed. Good luck on this piece!

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 11:07:42 pm
I agree with trevoriuS, the arm needs some fixing. It looks pretty awkward and even though a chaos marine might be capable of easily lifting a cadian (looks cadian), could probably pull it off with a sword but would not be using such lack of form. He's not a berserker of Khorne. Tzeentch's men usually prefer long range weapons, spells and the colors blue and yellow. Tzeentch also has a huge crush on egypt and just about everything egyptian. Or at least that's how I interpreted everything.

@TrevoriuS:
Space Marines are pretty big ( genetically altered) guys to begin with. Now imagine a big (genetically altered) guy encased in pretty awesome armor that not only increases your strength but it's pretty strong. Now imagine this hulking (genetically altered) brute in armor tainted with a demonic force that instills various powers and possibly mutations on him. He's pretty big now. So I think the marine and the imperial guardsman are pretty good as far as size goes.

Ok so enough about not pixel art.
I think you need to fix those horns, they seem a bit off, his right one (our left) becomes straight, it also looks very flat. I think his torso needs to be fixed up, I think they're more like spheres ontop of cylinders instead of body shaped. His backpack thing also looks weird, looks more like a slab of metal on his back instead of the backpacks most of them have. You should either replace the cadian's head with a bolt gun or a power fist. The sword arm has a goofy wrist, looks like it can bend/articulate. You should consider modeling it after a gauntlet.

P.S. You can probably view each individual piece that makes up your hulking brute on the games workshop website or fan sites. Good luck, I hope I've typed up some decent information for you. Use google and wikipedia for more info.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 11:34:25 pm
I wasn't really disagreeing on the character sizes, but suggestion (probably most to myself) how this could be in perspective with a ground plane.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 12:06:48 am
this new piece still suffers from a static composition.  moving the figure over to the side and twisting his hands doesn't make a piece dynamic, here it actually makes it awkward.  Read up on good compositions (my time is too limited for me to write this really, as you can fill volumes with the basics), and start from scratch again.  there's very little wrong with your pixelling but it wont ever look good if your composition sucks.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.