AuthorTopic: Anatomy practice  (Read 5259 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Anatomy practice

Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 11:54:10 pm
alright, i see where you are coming from

of course, this image is a matter of invention, not direct observation, and as such demands at least an understanding of the underlying geometries.  simplifying the forms based on what you can see is something you can get away with, as it allows to you hastily get down the already visible forms as dictated by the structure, but working form the mind's eye, it's foolish to think that you can properly manipulate the figure without an understanding of that structure.  if you only manipulate what you know (in this case, general outer forms), then you'll end up with broken humans.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: Anatomy practice

Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 09:33:54 am
@ trev: I said in my last line that once you know how to decontruct the human form it becomes a matter of instinct.

To me it's obvious that the individual who knows anatomy (even from a rudimentary POV) is a far better illustrator of form than those who don't... as adarias says, there are certain landmark bone (and there subsequent protusions/indents) on the body that a key to helping people understand the form more... for me it's more important to understand why the bones connect the way they do and what shapes they take - key areas being, collar bones and shoulder blades, the knee joint, the indents the ball joint of the hip/femur makes, the protusion of the pelvis, the two indents the sacrum makes on the lower back, the ankle bones, the wrist joint, all the joints of the hand and feet, the skull.

All these points can be deconstructed into simple lines and balls - and that's my point, and one that you agree with...

Perhaps I over specified these in my original post - but the fact remains if you don't know these key elements of the underlying skeletal form for creating a human figure then the ley-artist will struggle, particularly with the detail. To me it's those subtle bumps and indents that show the full understanding of form - regardless of it's application.

I actually think that yoshi's done a pretty good job on these, but I think his work will improve by knowing these key landmarks...
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com