AuthorTopic: Wonder Boy in Monster World  (Read 7982 times)

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Wonder Boy in Monster World

on: October 28, 2007, 09:23:18 am
sprites:

a mockup of sorts:

Hello, I'm *attempting* a Wonder Boy in Monster World remake, and have been working at it for a few days.

Was inspired by Alex Henson-White's stuff, especially the mockups and animations: http://www.finalredemption.com/beta

I'm having problems with the walk cycle, and JWW mentioned the problem of the lightsource. He says it would be better if it was lighted from above, but I don't know, I'm used to seeing sprites lit in front, what do you guys think?

Will be editting the big mushroom, since I'm not too happy with it.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline BG

• View Profile

Re: Wonder Boy in Monster World

Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 01:20:12 am
Whoa! A remake of one of my fave games of all time!  ;D

While I could instantly tell it was Shion, I think your style lacks a bit of the cutesy of the original. Then again, this happens to pretty much all remakes, since cuteness doesn't sell as well as coolness these days. Under these circumstances, I think you've done a great job on modernising him. :)

Have to say your walk animation is pretty bad. (Sorry) While you made sure his body bounced, (instead of just the legs like in the original) the legs is just poorly done. I could accept this on a 8-bit game but not 16-bit. His legs are very well animated in the original game, so study it more (it's easy to find sprite sheets) Oh, what the heck, here's a comparision:

Take the good parts of these two, mix them up, and you'll have a really good 4-frame walk.

I like how you switched the hands on the shield and sword. This way he has a much better range, and you have to push a button to parry arrows. I think the sword slash could need some more work. As for the idle animation, I personally prefer a breathing animation instead of blinking eyes, but that varies from person to person.

Love the big psycho mushroom! Can't wait to see more of this ;D

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 11:56:52 pm
I made a better walk animation late last night, I'll post it later, but I think it still looks jumpy so I'll definitely need some crits on it.

The problems I'm having with the sword slash is that I was trying to fit the whole thing in a 32x32 (which I think I lost track of mid-way of the slash), but maybe I should ditch that and just pixel and not worry about the technical difficulties.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 12:15:27 am
His right leg is just rotating.
It's not lifting off the ground like it should be.
Looks like he's dragging his right foot on the ground.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 12:14:00 pm

Here are the walk cycles, I couldn't post them because crappy DSL connection is crappy.
I tried the second one after reading Souly's post, so the left leg is being lifted now, but is somehow still weird-looking.

Also, some floating platforms from the first part of the day.

Cheers.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 12:37:51 pm
His right foot is still sliding on the ground, I think you should fix that somehow.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Frogacuda

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 06:51:40 pm
First, let me just say that I LOVE wonder boy. I really wanted to do a remake of WB3, but every time I did something went amiss in real life to drag me away.

The sprite looks great, but the background needs work. A few pointers:

1) The Sonic the Hedgehog ground isn't working. You need some grit and texture to it and go with a completely different tile pattern.
2) You need to add shading to each brick on the chimney, because right now it just looks painted on.
3) Everything in the background needs some texture to it.

Here are some WB3 pixels I did a while back. Sorry for jpg:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 06:56:20 pm by Frogacuda »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 09:33:05 pm
maybe this will help probably could be better but I wanted to just illustrate how I would approach this characters walk.. I think you should work out the motions before going too far into your characters design.

>>

sorry about the stray pixels on my edit, no clue where they came from..

you need to work on it one leg at a time to make sure there's clear key moments of contact and lift off.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 09:39:18 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 09:40:25 pm
maybe this will help probably could be better but I wanted to just illustrate how I would approach this characters walk.. I think you should work out the motions before going too far into your characters design.

The arms aren't moving quite right; the left arm needs to be forwards when the left leg is back, and so on.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 10:13:29 pm
yea jst placed the arms on lst second, im concentrating on the legs, if that becuase its only a rough edit.

edit.

this isn't my thread, why are people critting my edit?

ok, im only trying to push rabidbaboy in the right direction. I hope it helps atall mate.

again, sorry for the stray pixels.. im using imageready and its just not exporting correctly.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 11:00:42 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..