AuthorTopic: [WIP]RPG tileset  (Read 57141 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]RPG tileset

Reply #30 on: November 01, 2007, 06:12:25 am
I'm not telling him to do it because it's traditional, I'm telling him to do it because it doesn't look right the way it is now. He asked what I meant by traditional(and asked if it'd look weird), so I answered that it wouldn't, because it has grew on people.

Offline DavidCarney

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: November 01, 2007, 12:08:22 pm
I'm not telling him to do it because it's traditional, I'm telling him to do it because it doesn't look right the way it is now. He asked what I meant by traditional(and asked if it'd look weird), so I answered that it wouldn't, because it has grew on people.
:-\ What basis do you have to say it's grown on people in general?  It kinda sounds like a personal preference to me.

I, for one, love the way you are doing the shadows on all the stuff, the rocks look top notch, and every is looking very (as Baccaman said) commercial.

The trees look a bit odd to me, because unlike anywhere else on the trees, there is a bar without any leaf shading on the purple side.  Add shading to that and it might flow better all the way around it.

The shadows on the flowers do seem a bit too large, and grabs the attention more than you want it.

Awesome job all around though!  Top notch stuff.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: November 01, 2007, 12:59:17 pm
Meh... I wasn't saying to go with traditional shadows because it's grown on everyone, but just because it seems like a logical alternative... I was merely stating that traditional shadows aren't technically correct, but pass because they were used because of limitations and that even today they're 'okay' because nearly everyone uses them. I said that because he asked about the weirdness of a shadow that isn't 'right'.

Again, my reason for my suggestion of changing the shadows has nothing to do with me preferring traditional pixel shadows over his, but just that I don't think his are really working out, and I suggested an alternative--which was the traditional shadows.

His cliff shadows just look really, really weird to me, mainly because of the perspective he has chosen, it's just boggling to look at as it confuses me.

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: November 01, 2007, 02:21:06 pm
I appreciate your comments

I understand what youre getting at, but you said its mainly the cliffshadow thats wierd - which would be better to maybe just fix its perspective. What Im really interested in _why_ it looks wierd, and thats not because I dont care any of your comments, but I want to know why I would change it since, right now, it doesnt click for me.
Putting the shadow right under the threes might look odd because of its kinda heavy lit from the top-left angle and there would be a light part in the shadows. The screenshot you showed had the tree-trunk more or less all in shadow. But yea, I could make them shorter and more under the right side if the tree, and not that reaching out shadow. Ill come back on this later tonight.
But keep discuss - hopefully something good will come out of it :)

Offline basara

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: November 01, 2007, 04:39:57 pm

I am not sure if your goal was to make the cliff shaped like the top trapezoid and to my eyes it looks like that. :[] Maybe if it that wasnt what you intended and I am not wrong in my interpretation this could help with the perspective :P

Another thing that is looking a bit weird to me is the shadow being drawn on top of that boulder close to the cliff:

To my eyes the left one makes the rocks look like painted on the floor.

It would be a honour if any of this suggestions helped you :)

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: November 01, 2007, 07:59:56 pm
The screenshot is made in RPGmaker XP, I just put together something for showing the tiles "in action" as they are, but yes - it looks wierd. :)

The cliffs perspective I think I answered somewhere up there, I added the upper-corner to make the edge read better against the grass, Ill show the other version tonight, which is the more "correct" perspective one.
Stay tuned :)

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: November 02, 2007, 03:49:35 am

Just a tileset screen today(sorry for the size), since Im tired. Added stairs, started some water.
Here is the edited cliff. Also some small changes like in the treecrown, better AA on the cliffs. Sharpened the rocks a little - But didnt do it that much.

Offline jedzed

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: November 02, 2007, 08:57:58 pm
I'm not one to give crit's but i think the tree leaves are way too dark for the grass, it stands out way too much it needs a little less contrast between the two.

but anyways keep up the good work, im loving the trickster styled pallete ^_^.

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: November 03, 2007, 04:18:46 am

Worked on water, but Im not done yet - Added a bridge. Adjusted the trees, a little less contrasty and a little more washed out to match the grass better, as jedzed pointed out - as many of you did earlier. Ill keep tweaking it until it looks alright :)

The bidge will be a problem to make it read good without taking all the attention (I know it should have a shadow, havent added yet).
Suggestions?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: November 03, 2007, 04:27:28 am
ground stones and cliff stones dont seem to be from the same places, and the standing stones are very alien to the environment.  not necessarily a bad thing, just one to keep in mind.

somehow i feel like this is all too easy for you?  try to really push the envelope rather than just making the tiles that every rpg has ever had.

as far as the bridge, i say lighten and simplify for best results, you can imply bent and twisted lines without actually making them bent or twisted.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.