AuthorTopic: [WIP]RPG tileset  (Read 57140 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: [WIP]RPG tileset

Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 11:35:01 am
Out of interest, Bacca (others?), is that good shadowing on the dark side of the foliage? I'm reading the drop from greens to deeper purples as a bit sudden, despite the smattering of green leaves there. I'm looking at the trunks and they retain a lighter shade.

yeah... you might have a point there Rargh. Maybe it could do with an extra shade or 2 to make the blend flow a bit better... but then again, it could be a pallette issue too so perhaps a tinker with the pallette may just be all it needs.

btw - the term 'good' in this context is highly subjective. I'm a sucker for secondary hilights and like I said before the purple in shadows and yellow in hilights so I'm bound to say it's good cos this fits right on with my asthetic... but others may not be so kind...

Bottom line for me is that this work is highly presentable and commercial to boot...
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 12:20:30 pm
Got nothing much to say except those are looking very pimpin. ;D

And that the shadows are giving off a feel of different lightsources, especially on the cliff and that thin tree.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 01:20:35 pm
Thanks for the comments!
baccaman - Do you mean that cliff is like "leaning" and not going straight down on the back? I have that one too in my tileset but I though, then, that it read bad and merged with the other grass.. But now, after sleep and some fresher eyes, I think I agree with you.

About the shadow - Yes, this is something I had a little problem with, Ill try to rework it - If anyone have any ideas or paintovers for pointer it would be cool.

rabidbadboy - Do you mean diffrent directions or color? I think you mean there is a diffrence location of the main lightsource(yellow, top left), do you get the feeling from the castshadows? I couldnt do that good shadow on the big three since it would take up so many tiles - Tell me if this is what you mean, because I think Im agreeing its too obvious.

baccaman, yes megaliths or ruins next - after some tweaking :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:39:17 pm by zyndikate »

Offline ejay

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 01:54:02 pm
Looks great so far.
The foliage looks too contrasted and saturated compared to everything else, And I agree with Rargh about the transition to purple being too abrupt, I think it flattens it.
I also feel that the cliff side needs more contrast - it's currently using approximately the same range of values as in the ground surface, while it should probably have at least the same range as the tree trunks do . And as for the cliff shadow- it just needs to extend more to the right, to duplicate the 45-ish degrees angle used on the trees.
I love the natural grass borders, much better than the square ones In my opinion!

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 03:00:02 am

latest, I had all suggestions in mind.
Realise that the cliffside looks kinda wierd when you put something close to it like that.
Maybe I should add another shade to the treecrown? or do you think this is working?
I tried be consistent in contrast between vertical objects against the flat ground, where the objects have a little more contrast.
Ejay, (who btw have gave me suggestions and helped me aswell, he's more or less like my mentor :) ) Do you think the tree crown is still to contrasty and saturated.. In theory the crown is about the same saturation as the rest.

The stones and megalith'ish I like, good a little Simon the sorcerer1 look I think :)
I should probably leave out the shadows on the flowers.

Did I forget something?
What next? water?.. Maybe I should add some sort of ramp up the cliff. :)

Rargh! - yea, I think they would be cool for a swamp or something with a little pallette adjustment - a shame to waste them by not using them :)
Keep them coming!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 03:01:41 am by zyndikate »

Offline Rargh!

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 03:37:49 am

Oh, wow... Diggin' the stones.  :y: :y: Flowers are cool, too.

Not too sure about the style of the cliff yet (it seems not to match the rest). But awesome edit. Keep it going...  ;D

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 01, 2007, 03:39:23 am
I personally think you should ditch the shadows all together, especially on the cliffs. The tree's, it wasn't so bad, but I never thought they looked right, and maybe more traditional shadow directly under the tree.

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007, 03:53:15 am
Yea, theyre not close to "right", theyre somewhat adjusted to be practical in the editor, otherwise they would be bigass shadows and you only have 3 layers. Classic shadows, wouldnt they look more wierd? or maybe Im think wrong, do you have any picture with them? I think I understand what youre getting at, do you think the wierdness is in the angle or size of them, or just out of style?
Can it be its the wierd perspective of the upperside of the cliff thats causing it?

What do others think? Should I remove the shadows? Personaly I think, right now, that they add a little dynamic.

edit: I noticed I missed a shadow tile on the bottom-right megalith.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 03:55:55 am by zyndikate »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 01, 2007, 04:19:56 am
Well it's not about being right, it's about looking right. Traditionally, shadows were drawn directly under the tree, no matter the light source. Sure, it was weird in a technical sense, but it's the way it was done, so no one really pays attention to it.
What I think really kills the cliff shadows is the fact that you're working with such an odd angle(which I've just seen you have mentioned), and all kinds of messages are being sent to the viewers(or at least me, personally).
For reference, take a look at these trees in the top left:
http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/773/773832/vc-monday-3192007-20070319003135882.jpg

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 01, 2007, 04:52:22 am
I think the shadows look good and getting rid of them would be to it's detriment.

And Dusty, tradition is not the only way to go. You seem to be trying to impose it on him because it's the status quo, and that's lame imo [rhymed for extra effect].