AuthorTopic: [WIP]RPG tileset  (Read 57138 times)

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]RPG tileset

Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 01:43:36 am
I did a little mockupish in rpgmaker this time, with uninspired mapping due to late hour , I would like comments on the whole - does it read right? the depth and such. All other comments are ofcourse also welcome, c&c.
I realise that there is some cleanup on the pieces too.

Anyone who got any suggestions to do next? probably some hillcorners would be in place :)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 01:46:06 am by zyndikate »

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 02:41:50 am
First of all: wow. Pretty nice piece you got there.
Second, C&C: IMO the stone path is too contrasted and dark. Try to lower the difference between the darkest and lightest tones (and save a few colors in the process!), and lighten the whole color ramp to push it back to the grass plane. Another thing: the tree in the bottom left seems to be sick, puking or something of the sort. :P I think the composition would look better if you'd just replace if with a bush or a variation of your first tree (a little sprout maybe?).

Congrats, man. That's awesome work.
-Stefano

Post EDIT:

Since I got rid of the variation floor tile with shiny pebbles, I've added a sketchy grass chunk to replace it.
And sorry about the puking tree. I just couldn't resist it! ;)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 11:05:53 am by Stefano »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 08:33:14 am
Fantastic stuff.

Personally - I've never liked square edged tiles like you have... I understand it's a stylistic choice but one that I think is a legacy of limited characters for mapping RPG genre games back in the day... these days we have more scope to ruffle those edges up and create something a little less 'tiley' - So, why not try having multiple 'straight', outside and inside corner tiles to try and break it up a bit...

Like this (excuse the mess it was really quick edit) :-

It's like stippliing... but with texture.

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 11:39:04 am
Wonderful set, are you going to make a game out of it ? :D
It reminds me a lot of Magical Vacation ( http://xs220.xs.to/xs220/07441/Forest1.png ), but much bigger :P

Keep it up (no crits from me, obviously) =)

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 12:50:40 pm
Thanks guys! great crit and I agree on all points - for the moment! :P!

Yea, variation in the tiles and better melthing together - no question about it. Also adding curves in the corner like you hinted. Will get to it tonight! :)

Ill try to push the tiles to the grass, but Ill probably keep the highlight for form.. But then again I might not - yours seems like a better stylistic choice and it fits the grass. We'll see :)

Dont think so much of the composition, it was just a test to having everything in the same screen to get the big picture - Just tiles can dont tell the whole thruth, IMO. The puking three - I think I can find use if it in map-making later, as variation - but Ill maybe tone it down a little, not so extreme gesture.

fil_razorback .. They indeed are inspired from that tileset, It was one of those I had in my "tilesets" directory where I looked for inspiration.. I honestly though it were something like *of mana though.

Im starting to get bored of that boxy tree, see if I can add a little flavor and gesture to it :)

To be continued - keep the crit coming guys :)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 05:58:55 pm
you could have the trunk without leaves aswell, for more variation...

nice stuff

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 06:21:01 pm
Im starting to get bored of that boxy tree, see if I can add a little flavor and gesture to it :)

If you getting bored  with it - leave it... give it some space and move on, come back to it later if need be... it looks fine as is.

Move on to something else, it's screaming out for some kind of boulder, or rock... or megalith of some kind... maybe with some kind of tribal carving on it...?

like this
or this
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 06:24:58 pm by baccaman21 »

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline zyndikate

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 02:58:29 am

Thanks for the comments.
Made cliff-side and some dirt path. The autotiles needs tweaking (stone, grass, cliff), the edges should be more or less goin diagonal.
I also played with the colors - I cant stop doing that. :)

Dont mind the composition, I let the whole cliff show to show all sides of it - This is just for showing.

Next I think will be those rocks and such - after the autotiles tweaking.
c&c still appreciated!

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 08:59:21 am
double yum...

you've got issues with the cliff shadow (at the back) it needs to start half way down the back face so that it's jutting up, and not lying down...

love the new pallette (I'm a sucker for yellow highs and purple lows)

megaliths now?

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Rargh!

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 11:25:41 am

Wow. Bacca's really been pushing you in some awesome directions.

What I really like about this, however, is how--utilising the same art you've been working on--you could easily turn your daytime beauty...

and a couple of levels later, have the player move into an area that's dark and foreboding, just by removing the foliage and changing the palette.

Love these stumps.

Out of interest, Bacca (others?), is that good shadowing on the dark side of the foliage? I'm reading the drop from greens to deeper purples as a bit sudden, despite the smattering of green leaves there. I'm looking at the trunks and they retain a lighter shade.

Great stuff Zyndicate.  :y: