AuthorTopic: What's the best game programming language/software for a beginner?  (Read 7468 times)

Offline SirSami

• View Profile
    • Minioid game studio

Re: What's the best game programming language/software for a beginner?

Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 12:50:19 pm
gamemaker's programming language is based on javascript; no?
that or C++. either way, if you start with game maker and get used to it, its a lot easier to learn than either C++ or Javascript, and you can transition into which ever one it is more similar to(i cant really remember >>) so while gamemaker has its flaws, its a good beginner program and helps if you want to move up...

But with game maker you can't do what you want... Example you can't make your own map engine. If you are begingger i suggest to start straight with programming language. BASIC type of languages are best for begingers but if you want more things to do use C++

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 04:34:37 pm
For a beginner in programming you shouldn't start out with game programming, you should study the basics of a programming language, depending on what you pick the learning curve will be longer or harder, for example if you pick C++ the learning curve will most likely be initially hard, but useful. On the other hand if you would choose a simpler language like VB or Delphi, you might end up using it's functions more than learning the actual way of programming, if you've got the patience I'd always suggest C++, it's what I started out with and even though I now choose C# and/or Java over it, I value what I learned from it.

For a beginner game programmer (a programmer that just hasn't been into game programming yet) I'd suggest a variant of the same thing, if you have patience for it, start out hard with C++, learn how to do things ground up so that you later can value the simplified ways of doing it, and knowing what's behind it. Then perhaps move on to using a framework such as Allegro, or even XNA with C#, as they both pack alot of functions that make a programmers life alot easier.

That's my two cents.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 01:17:40 pm
http://www.python.org

An approachable, powerful, and sensible language. You can install the pygame module once you've got a grasp of ordinary programming and game programming feels approachable.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Shivesh

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 01:42:52 pm
Depends on for what are u doing the game.
If U wanna quick game, and try out the system u had in mind game maker is great for start.
Python as language is a very good choice because its easy to learn, and after a while u can do ur tests there.
Do not want to repeat what people already sad about C# & C++.
I prefer Java and use Slick2D library which is quite handy.

So it all depends how much effort  do you wanna put in creating the game and how fast do u want it done.

But the learning of the programming language is always here. No easy way around it  :hehe: