AuthorTopic: Excelsis ~ RPG Mockup (GBA)  (Read 3113 times)

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Excelsis ~ RPG Mockup (GBA)

on: October 22, 2007, 05:13:08 pm

There it is, CC and edits are greatly appreciated =)
The background is (obviously) non pixel art.

(C'mon...dont be so shy).

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Re: Excelsis ~ RPG Mockup (GBA)

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 06:39:42 pm
I like it a lot. It shows a lot of depth overall, bu, the grass is way too flat and lack texture. The rocks do too, but I don't think it requires too much work other than adding texture to the rocks and the grass.

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:03:17 pm
The higher grass and the tree (as well as the characters and UI) have a higher detail degree as the normal grass and the rocks (which I very like). Because of this it looks very unfinished for me, so I can't really crit it now (personally, I like the flat shading more than your detailed work, but it's just my opinion). Could you please elaborate your intended style that we can crit you better?

* The player sprite lacks a bit of contrast and definition. In 100% view, first I thought the beard is his head. Maybe a other color of his face (or coat) would help to clarify this.
* The shadow of the skunk (?) looks wrong. I'm not a expert for shadow casting, but I think if should be in a different angle than it's now.
* The shadows of the gems (?) should not be 100% under them because the light comes not directly from above. But since it's a game it may be better to collect them (and therefore have a inconsistent global illumination)

If this should be a real game, every sprite has to be drawn two times because the light comes from the top left. If would be more consistent if the light source would be straight from the top.

Good start, keep pushing ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 08:19:11 pm by Rosse »

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:30:57 pm
Hearing thoughts about the piece really helps me for after watching it for so long I've completely lost any sense of intuition. Thanks to both of you =)

Style :
Like Rosse guessed, the style I am trying to achieve here is the one displayed by the cliffs and ground, which I did first and like most.
Therefore, I'll try to solve the clash style in favor of flat shading rather than textured stuff.
I'll make a new tree and try new grass but this wont be easy >.<

Other issues :
-Will try to adress crits on the player sprite
-What's a stunk ?
-Was aware of the orb shadow issue but it makes them more noticable :P

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 08:23:15 pm
sorry, typo, I meant skunk ;)