AuthorTopic: Let's Learn Form!  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Let's Learn Form!

on: October 21, 2007, 11:14:59 pm

Yes. It is messy. Really messy.  Right now I'm looking just for form and anatomy critique...because I really need to work on both those areas.
Here's the reference.
When it's good, I'll move on and repost with some more detail, get response, and so on and so on and so on....

I'm kind of going for a beat 'em up sprite look, though it might be too big...I might scale it later.... :-\ 

But yeah.  Constructive criticism wanted.

Also, not that you cared, but the boat girl is on an indefinite hiatus.

EDIT:
>> 
Yeah, just through self-critique, I've made some changes...for the better hopefully :P.   I'm still troubled by the arms...his right arm seems too short, and I know its because it goes back (which I might not be able to show until I add lighting?) and his left arm just seems...too long or too short :S.

I'd like to hear from you all.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 02:55:43 am by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline eghost

• Vagrant
    • View Profile
    • My Pixel Joint profile page

Re: Let's Learn Form!

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 04:19:31 am
Insofar as length goes I think his right arm is fairly ok...Maybe a bit short shoulder to elbow, even if bent...The left arm is a bit on the long side, though it looked fine in the first draft...Stylistically speaking I kinda like the direction you were headed in the original...Dunno why but it kinda makes me think Teen Titans...*shrugs*...Looking forward to see where you go from here... :)

Offline Reldros

• 100 years of rain.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 04:57:27 am
His feet seem a bit small, it just seems like that to me.  :-X
Going with anatomy, the length of the foot should be the length of the face.

Not 100% sure since I'm half asleep. ;_;

Offline Atum

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 05:15:58 am
"his" right arm looks oddly stubby compared to his left stretched arm...

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 07:38:29 am
I don't like the reference because its taken from someone at a greater height. This means that his legs will appear to short becuase of the perspective. A beat em up wouldn't have the same
perspective, so if you copy it straight itll look bad. I suggest finding a reference side and less baggy pants.

New one: left arm is too long as said. Legs are too short if hes standing on the balls of his feet.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 03:43:42 pm
eghost: I'm not really going for style right now--this is more a matter of study than an issue of style.  So I guess I agree that the first one is headed in a favorable stylized direction, but it would be missing the point of the exercise if I keep with my old habits.  You dig?

atum: I agree about his left arm...but I think it might be more of a depth thing  :-\ I'm not sure...was hoping to get some help in this department...otherwise we'll see if I start to apply light.  Anyways, here's a try at fixing it:

sharprm: I agree about the reference.  And actually, now that you mention it, this is a pretty bad choice to study form.  I've been looking for something in a similar stance with tight or no clothes for better study, but I haven't had any luck.  If anybody could help me find such, it would help a bunch.  Otherwise I might just resort to taking a picture of myself later.

And you bring up the arm.  Here's why I'm concerned/need help:

The arm of the reference is about 4 heads long, and the arm in my rendition is only 3 (granted my guy's head is a little too wide), but it still looks too long. ???
-------------------------------
EDIT

Okay, a new rendition from a new reference picture...similar pose.
Less muscular but less baggy clothes... ;)

Thought I'd try to focus more on shapes than just contour/outlines as before.

I think I might redo the feet.... :-\
How do you think I am coming along otherwise? If you have any more critiques for the first one or this one, speak up!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 09:51:17 pm by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 12:41:26 am
Means the head is too wide at back and your spacing is too big. The arm is too long.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 02:05:01 am
Hmm, first one had a much more dynamic and interesting pose. One of the nice things about pixel art is you can easily tweak the length of limbs and placement of the head and whatnot as you continue detailing and refining without tearing the whole thing apart.

Your second attempt is great. I think blocking out in solid shapes is a much better approach, especially if you start getting into animation. Anyway, I prefer nitpicking useless little details so I'll get back once you start refining.