AuthorTopic: Chopsticks  (Read 5110 times)

Offline Headsplode

• View Profile

Chopsticks

on: November 20, 2005, 10:40:45 pm
Longtime lurker, first-time poster. Cheers, all! :)

Work-in-progress of a spontaneously started afternoon project. As of yet I've really only worked on her face.

Gah. I'm not much of a pixel artist at all, and have no idea what I'm doing. :/

Critiques and suggestions would help so much at this point. Yes...

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Re: Chopsticks

Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 02:23:35 am
Wow, this is really nice. Keep doing what you were doing as this is turning out great so far. No crits from me, just keep going.

Offline sonic08

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 04:03:24 am
Wow, this is really nice. Keep doing what you were doing as this is turning out great so far. No crits from me, just keep going.
I agree.

For someone who doesn't know what they're doing, you're doing really good! Keep at it!

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 04:04:46 am
looking really nice, great form.
few things, I think the shadow on her neck is a little too dark, and ad a little anti aliasing on some of the more contrasting areas
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 05:39:50 am
I think it looks great, love the style. Though I think the hair is a little too dark, or not enough contrast. And I get the feeling the texture-ish style on the hair is a lot less... "smooth" as the rest of the piece.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 05:42:49 am
what is worked on so far shows much promise. I dislike the heavy brown shade for the skin, I'd tint gradually to something a bit more neutral, but more crits and more well thought will come when you go ahead and finish this more.

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 08:38:53 am
Could you share what program you're using? I like the variable width lines and Painter's pixel pen doesn't have pressure sensitivity.

I agree that you're doing really well for someone who claims to not know much. I get the impression that you come from a painting background. Do you have any work posted online? Would be interested in seeing some.

I have to wait until you are almost finished before l offer any helpful criticism. You are doing well, I appreciate your unique approach and want to learn from it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 12:41:49 pm by MadToaster »

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 02:08:55 pm
i think it's obvious he doesn't know much about the technical issues of pixel art, but sofar, he's got what alot of ppl need! TALENT!!!

I see you have a digital painting background. the image is coming out really nice. just like a cg painting, only using hard brushes. I might agree with the shadow on the neck being to dark. its a cast shadow yes, but the chest would radiate some light up to it. this way it looks like she's got some hair around the neck.

you should try and making a smaller image. and with very few colors. get thoes yes really close to the pixel. :D you'll see it gets fun :D

take care,

Kazuya Mochu
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 07:57:24 pm
It's lookin pretty good so far, especially if you don't have many knowledge on this area...

My only sugetions, apart from the ones that were made, are to add some blue highlights to the hair, anti aliase the "outlines" (I know you're doin it with no outlines, at least the face and shoulders, but I mean the borders) and insert some dither...

Good luck ;)

Filax

Offline Headsplode

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 09:44:14 pm
Woah, thanks for the replies! Certainly was a nice surprise to come back to.

@.TakaM:

Yeah, shadow seemed a little weird to me too. As for anti-aliasing, I started applying a bit of that with the mouse after posting this, and will be doing more.

@Dusty:

So I've got to use more, lighter colors on the hair. Gotcha.

@Helm:

Tried decreasing some of the contrast between the shadows and highlights, and it did look better.

@MadToaster:

Photoshop 7.0, for lack of anything else on my machine that works well with my graphics tablet.

You'd be right; I do some painting/illustration here or there, nothing special though.
http://gunnerromantic.deviantart.com <----slow servers.

@Kazuya Mochu:

Hairy necks are scary... definitely gonna fix that shadow now. :P

And I do want to try some smaller/sprite work sometime... spending time browsing these forums really gets one inspired to a great degree. ;)

@Filax_666:

Blue highlights sound good, as does anti-aliasing!

Thanks again for the critiques and suggestions, really helps a ton. Cheerio~