AuthorTopic: Gill's Work in Progress Tutorial  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Gill's Work in Progress Tutorial

on: October 19, 2007, 01:23:53 am
Heavily work in progress right now. Pretty much focuses on semi-advanced shtuff.
http://lorne.lastchancemedia.com/tutorial.html
 :-*
Any suggestions?

To do list:
Add AA portion
Improve what I have for Animation (Written at 2AM)
Add more to Animation, particularly sub-pixel animation
Add Dithering portion
Clean up or get rid of the bit on motion.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Gill's Work in Progress Tutorial

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 01:44:19 am
Instead of using your pixel art ALL the time, why not show some really good examples of it(Like, hue-shifting examples, etc).

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 01:44:37 am
Any suggestions?
Case studies and such from videogames?

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 01:58:26 am
Use something more realistic and detailed for your first hue/saturation example. That mockup is so abstract and loose that the first version has actually some qualities that make it superior to the second.

Also, you should make some bad straight ramps, like green to dark green, brown to dark brown, and then add some hue shifting in the second version. Do something that has grass, dirt, and sky--i.e. the generic forest RPG tileset--as that's what many new pixelers attempt.

Make a separate low contrast and low saturation example. You can have bad contrast and lots of saturation, and vice versa.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 02:16:20 am
Was that some form of jab at me, Bengoshia?

I didn't use any (discounting that one pic from Arne's tutorial) artwork from other people because I assumed there might be a conflict, but thinking about it more, it's probably not a problem. :-\
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 02:23:08 am
I think he meant show some good professional examples from actual games to drive in your points. Such as how Tsu brokedown some Secret of Mana graphics while talking about color usage and forms.

Offline HMC

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 08:12:42 pm
Gill, you seem to make a lot of strange assumptions about your audience in this tutorial. First of all, I would advise going into more detail about saturation and WHY a certain image looks bad with too much saturation. I'm not sure I like your example with the bird. You're just sort of assuming that the reader's eyes are going to be hurt by looking at saturated colors (don't insult your audience, as that's only really indicative of piss-poor legitimacy), and you seem to be making the reader think that all saturated colors are inherently bad and that they have no place in art and that graying it up = invariably necessary. I no that's not the case, and I know YOU KNOW that's not the case, but that's what it comes off as.

In the hue-shifting section, I would go into more detail about WHY hue-shifting occurs. (Also, I'm not sure what you mean by it being an exaggeration. I'm pretty certain it's a real phenomenon.) For example, you do mention the sun as a light source, but you fail to mention WHY the warm colors often shift towards cool colors (i.e. parts of objects not reflecting sunlight reflect light from the sky, which is blue). Also, your description of warm and cool colors is reeeeally awkwardly written.

Refrain from using examples in which you tell the reader "ignore this" and "ignore that", because it sounds really, really stupid and it makes the reader have no idea what aspect you're trying to focus on. Stop including so many superfluous comments, like the "This is how I USE to do it, and thus it's how YOU should do it" thing, and the mentioning of artistic aspects that aren't even applicable. By the way, I'm not entirely sure I believe what you say about sharpness not existing in pixel art, since I'm pretty sure there's more to the concept than 'lack of Gaussian blur filter'.

In the section about motion you again suffer from the use of poor examples. You've got the orange robot guy in an image that is hard to read, and you demonstrate a method aiming to prevent said error with an image that is equally hard to read. This is basically the biggest problem with your tutorial. You keep providing these arbitrary examples and expect the reader to believe what you say on faith. It's all largely conjectural. You talk about facets of pixel art and recognize that they are used by other pixel artists, but you fail to realize entirely WHY they are used. Basically, I agree with what Pkmays says.