AuthorTopic: Plaformer Character Design  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Plaformer Character Design

on: October 18, 2007, 09:16:16 pm
Allright guys, this is hands-down the best forum I know of for getting critiques. I've posted some stuff in the past here and have improved a lot because of it. I used to try to make platformers with RPGMaker which was really stupid. Since then I've discovered Multimedia Fusion and can finally make something that I want to make. So I'm trying to do some more serious platformer spriting now and am working on developing a style.

A little old (maybe a month) but pretty representative of the level I'm currently at:

(don't focus as much on the woman to the side- that's not really the style I want to develop as much as the cartoony platform guys)

These are character I made today at work.

Corporate America and his partner Big Business.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Plaformer Character Design

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 09:34:07 pm
The top environments are rockin' awesome, Wes. Lower ones... Not so much.
The rocks on the bottom are actually nice, but the bushes just... look horribly out of place in contrast to the detailed stones and abstractish machine things

The legs on the Business guys seem really weird. Not sure why.

I'll make a more indepth critique later.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: Plaformer Character Design

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 02:25:30 am
Some of the side-profile views of your characters seem off-balance.  Bart, capt, paper and pox all seem to be leaning back too much, and cricket seems to be leaning a bit too far forward.  Try replicating these poses in front of a mirror and observe where all your major joints line up, then try to replicate that arrangement when building bases for your characters.