AuthorTopic: A new category: "Repository"?  (Read 7411 times)

Offline Rargh!

• View Profile

A new category: "Repository"?

on: October 18, 2007, 06:00:19 am

So, I've been lurking at Pixelation for the last week, trying to read as many threads as possible, and what stuns me is just how incredibly talented and knowledgable a lot of the longstanding members are. There's just so much detailed discussion on palettes, animation cycles, dithering, etc. with some amazing edits depicting how it all works. Only problem is, the repository of knowledge is scattered all over this site and trying to learn about some of the pixel art basics--as I am--is difficult.

Would you guys consider starting a new category (I don't know... call it "Repository" or something) that forms something of a wiki on pixel art. It could include glossary elements (eg. What is "dithering"? "MC restrictions"? "Widepixel"?),  tutorials, sample palettes, references, links (this thread was awesome: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?PHPSESSID=7fc47ec6d9f5e397b6a7efc0c851e660&topic=3467.0), etc. Maybe even some top notch examples of work by people like Helm, Ptoing, etc. Or they could nominate some to go in there. Kind of like a gallery of pieces to study.

There's just too much talent here to have 90% of it hidden in 67+ pages of threads...

Cheers,

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: A new category: "Repository"?

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 08:40:53 am
Thanks for the kind words. This has been discussed on many occasions, I don't think anyone is up for doing the legwork for this, sadly. The threads with the good stuff might be a bit burried, but they're still here, a patient person will find what they're looking for.

Offline Rargh!

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 11:17:44 am
Thinking about it, Helm... you're right. The problem with the internet is that we all too often expect "answers" to be at our fingertips. Making knowledge harder to come by makes the gaining of it all the more valuable. The "easy" path is not the one paved in gold (perfectly pushed) pixels. I guess as someone new to what some of you have been doing for 20 years there's a real sense of being overwhelmed by so much to learn.

Cheers,

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 12:30:17 pm
I've often found myself tearing my hair out trying to locate a thread I know is around...

Is it possible to integrate Tags yet?

It's a big part of internet 2.0?

I mean, things that I often like to comment on, (animation, anatomy and the odd bit of technical background) could be tagged up - I know the search function is capable of locating same to same but tagging is the way forward...

I've been using Del.ici.ous on and off for a while now and find it really, really useful to save pages I'm interested in... perhaps we could setup a del.ici.ous shell that we all can use purely for tagging Pixelation topics and threads?

Bit of a clunky solution perhaps but may be useful... keep the link to the Pixelation Del.ici.ous as a sticky somewhere?

I dunno, maybe there's a better way... just a thought really.

Cheers

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 01:12:10 pm
The tags are a wonderful idea. Perhaps 'anatomy' 'structure' 'tiling' 'animation' 'color' 'aesthetics' style'. You'd flag your critique with the appropriate tags and people would be able to search the forum by tag. Dude if that's easy to do, it would solve a lot of problems. We could even have a week of open flagging to all users so they could go back pages and flag as many old threads as they want. Then we close the flagging option and only the person who posts a reply can flag his reply.

If that's easy to code in, great. Probably not, though.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 01:18:49 pm
When I have more time I will look if there is a plugin that allows tagging in SMF. Sounds like a cool idea.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 06:01:38 pm
A Pixel art Wiki wouldn't be all bad either, right? O: For explaining techniques and such, I mean.
' _ '

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 06:22:29 pm
There was a wiki at one time, don't think it ever really took off.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 07:55:19 pm
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 10:52:51 pm
it would sorta be like the rules or the resource thread, nobody would read it really.  anyone who wants to know what something means can use the forum search feature (which i just tested will take you to explanations of subpixel, aa, hue shift, color ramp, and style dither, to name a few) at the touch of a button.  If you cant find it, ask, and then your post will put it in the archives frevrrz (so the next guy can search the term and find the post that answered your q)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.