AuthorTopic: Delta Force  (Read 7487 times)

Offline Rargh!

• View Profile

Re: Delta Force

Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 10:24:04 am

For me, I've got vibes of Nightmare before Christmas meets Grim Fandango meets Spirited Away. Very nice stuff. And I think Stefano's edit does a great job at taking away the glassy look. But, that said, there was something "alien" about the girl's eyes that was really appealing. Something other-worldly. Maybe somewhere between Stefano's and the original would be awesome...?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 10:51:45 am
Just forget making every background perfect and go with the 'rough background' style you've got going now. I am saying this because for a project of this scope you'll need so many assets, it's best to finish it than not to finish it.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 12:36:58 pm
Just forget making every background perfect and go with the 'rough background' style you've got going now. I am saying this because for a project of this scope you'll need so many assets, it's best to finish it than not to finish it.

This is probably one of the biggest reasons why I've considered taking on extra help from someone more qualified to do that kind of work. But I'm not well known enough in the art community, and I'm not able to pay anyone, so it would have to be interest based only. And obviously I have a specific kind of vision for the project, so it'd be hard to find someone to match what I have in mind.

But yeah, for now these will do while I work out story and animation issues. I at least feel like I'm improving, which is good.

The responses I especially love getting back are the ones about what it reminds you of. I've heard almost all of my biggest influences come back at me, and it's nice to know it shows in the work. I'm referring to your answer Rargh!, Nightmare before Christmas and Spirited away (and in some stronger sense Howl's moving castle) all definitely had an impact on me, and it's cool to know that those influences are reflected in my work.

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 01:58:49 am
This is .. amazing work. Handheld console standard, if not better than many games out there. Don't give up with this one.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 05:43:06 am

Tweaked based on suggestions I got from some peeps. Yup.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 02:22:35 pm
Just wanted to say that I'm loving it, and that the contrast between the tranquil motif and diagonal composition is very appealing :]
' _ '

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 08:30:13 pm
I like these, but I'm really not digging the dark outlines. They are a bit too harsh, and I think it will look much better to remove any sort of outlining from the characters so they will integrate into the backgrounds instead of popping out. I made an edit to illustrate.

I also minimized outlining on the tree background. Having studied a few large fighter backgrounds, I noticed the artists really don't define edges in the backgrounds. Not sure exactly why, but it tends to look better just blocking in shapes of overlaping colors and avoid any heavy outlining. And again, little to no outlines for the character floats my boat much more than the original.

Anyway, make of this what you will. I still love whay you've got so far.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 08:50:57 pm
I actually prefer the harshness in terms of outlining, since I'm a huge pen-and-ink kind of guy, black outlines give me boners. The screen you edited makes everything look too pastelly for my likings.

.......Aaaaaanyways, the one thing I really like is what you did with the girl portrait. That's really the one thing I really am glad people have been editing. I really really suck at drawing girls, I need to get better. Otherwise my entire game will be a sausage fest  ???

So yeah, as greatful as I may be for the edit, the black outlines will stay as a stylistic preference, But I can try to find a way to dull them down a little so that they're not so harsh. That I can try to do. But I love bold outlines too much to completely ditch them.