AuthorTopic: [WIP] Warrior  (Read 18450 times)

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

[WIP] Warrior

on: October 17, 2007, 03:53:10 pm
Recently started to do a warrior sprite:

It looks kinda decent to me. I think the palette does not fit but I'm starting with pixels and am not so good at this stuff so I need your suggestions.

Newest:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 08:46:11 pm by Kaczor »
Sorry for my english.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Warrior

Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 04:25:41 pm
Ditch the pallette, you don't need it right now. Building ramps is okay, I guess, but this is like a hundred more colours than you really need :]

In pixel art, you can conserve a lot of colors by just being a little smart; If you have a brown tone AND a skin tone, AND a golden tone, use the same dark colours for them all, the eye doesn't really recognize the exact color until it reaches the mid-range.

So right now, try to take away a little of the shading and use one color for outlines, on main color and then one main shadow color and, eh, one main highlight color for each element, and try to share colors with little saturation. Not only will it look more crisp, you'll learn lots by setting this kind of rules!

Is he defending himself? I'm not totally getting the pose. This is not very good, since at this small scale, you want all poses and motions to be very clear.

Explain what you're trying to achieve and we'll help you get it right :]

And don't be afraid to revamp whole pieces of your art, just erase everything in a certain area and start anew; It'll give you precious experience and if you recreate pieces, but only better, you'll learn lots in the process.

Looking good, good luck! :]
' _ '

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 06:24:25 pm
Ok, how's that?:
>>

I made the pallete smaller by a half.

I'm going to work on the arm "above" his head because as you said, the pose doesnt seem natural but now I would like to know if the new coloring is better, and is it what you were expecting me to do.
Sorry for my english.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 07:58:56 pm
It's an improvement, conservation-wise, but lacks in other areas.

I think you should ditch some color from his skin, there are a lot of 'invisible' buffer shades that don't do their job of smoothing stuff out, and could be used as a dark green/blue/gray color to use for the shirt and sword.

The contrast has improved though! I'm glad I didn't have to tell you that :]

Looking forward to a new revamp from you, as well as an edit from someone more experienced than I (I tried to make a more color-conserved version, but I kind of failed. I'm not there yet.)
' _ '

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 09:54:29 pm
Hmm... I used only 2 skin colors so I don't get the point about removing one of them.
Sorry for my english.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 10:15:28 pm
Man, I should do closer research before I say stuff like that.

So what I'm basically saying is that if you lose a color and then gain one to use with the shirt and sword, that'd be great, since those exact colors really don't go super well with brown shadows.

That's what I was meaning to say, sans the details :]
' _ '

Offline Rargh!

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:26:08 am

Hey Kaczor...

Any particular design reason as to why you covered his face with the sword/arm?

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 12:59:13 am
Yup, I noticed that too. You should really switch weapon arms. Have the shield in the front hand and move the sword to the background arm so it isn't obscuring his face.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 02:38:11 am
I tried to reduce the old palette more efficiently* than you did:
When you did it, you got the colors down, yes, but you lost some valuable information on the way--the sword and the metal around the shied were blue, now they're brown? That's not what you wanted, was it?  ;)
For other critique--the sword and the arm thing like the others mentioned, and you realize already.  Also...the right foot feels kind of....I donno....maybe have the cloth cover it a bit more?  It just feels off balance somehow.

*The palette still could be more effective, I just reduced it to more reflect your original colors than your valiant attempt.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Kaczor

• I'm lazy
    • View Profile
    • Mario City

Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 01:35:39 pm
Know what? It's just a practice so it won't hurt if I totally redo it (or shouldn't I?). I'll make it bigger and of course I'll keep in mind your suggestions.

edit:
Ok... what ya think about the new lineart?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 03:08:11 pm by Kaczor »
Sorry for my english.