AuthorTopic: Beginner's bedroom  (Read 7375 times)

Offline sleepfist

• View Profile

Beginner's bedroom

on: October 15, 2007, 01:29:36 am
I'm probably all over the place here.  I'm also colorblind, which is challenging.  I actually took some photos of the bedroom so that I could color-drop from the reference pics.

Just looking for some:

1. General C&C
2. Advice on putting wrinkles in the comforter
3. Color advice
4. Punishment

Also, should my carpet be dithered somehow?  Is there like a reference for standard fabric dither patterns that you could point me to?

Thanks.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: Beginner's bedroom

Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 02:14:28 am
The first thing that jumps out is the inconsistent outlining....you've got outlines on some stuff, and not on others--pick one or the other.
The next thing that's rather bothersome is the lack of a light source...I mean, if you look close you can tell that there's some subtle shading, but personally, I'd try to be much more drastic.
Another thing that sticks out is that everything feels very flat and square--add some life to it man!  Don't be afraid to use lines that don't line up with the isometric plane...curvy lines are your friend, as you can see on what you've kind of got going on the chair.
Lastly, I think the computer (its a computer right?) could use quite a bit of work.  I'd spend some time and make it look more computer-y if I was you.

As for the carpet, I'd ignore the dither pattern and go for more of an edge thing--I mean, if it's like a shaggy carpet, show frillies around the edge of the room and objects, but if it's a flat carpet, I think you'll be just fine with what you've got...as long as you incorporate some more apparent shading.

Good luck man.  :y:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 06:26:40 am
I agree, you have some inconsistent outlines there.
Also, this is more of a personal thing, but I see you do what a lot of others that do isometric art do--completely disregard details. Everything is simple, has no texture to it, with little to no shading(or it's improper), no shadows, and similar things. I honestly have no idea where people seem to get the idea that doing iso-art gives them an excuse to not pay attention to the detail.
As for the specifics, the door seems too wide, the shelves need some thickness to them, and the pillows and bed also lack depth. It could also do with some AA, and since iso generally uses the 2:1 pixel ratio you're doing, this is a good chance to practice it since it's fairly easy with this pixel set-up.
Also, if you didn't use IMG tags, please do. I can't seem to zoom in on your image. For others:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 06:28:25 am by Dusty »

Offline sleepfist

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 02:36:43 am
Thanks, I appreciate the comments.  Now to work on the flaws.

I doubt, though, that I'll ever get very detailed with my iso art.  The entire appeal for me is the charming, simplified, retro look.  I will certainly work on the consistency, the composition, and the shading, but I plan to keep it pretty light on detail for reasons of personal taste.

Offline sleepfist

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 02:39:14 am
Oh, and yes -  that was supposed to be my girlfriend's Mac, not a Lite Brite.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 03:04:24 am
It's fine that you go light on detail, just make sure you know what to add detail to and what not to....it's sort of a focus thing; do you want people to look at your lite b--girlfriend's mac? Detail it.  Don't want viewers to pay close attention to the carpet? Leave it blank.   One of the things about a minimalist way to go, is that it adds contrast and attention to anything with detail, so try to keep that in mind.  :y:

By the way: it could be argued that you can still keep your retro look while still being very detailed...but yeah, I have to agree that games like The Immortal and Shadowrun had rather sub-par, simple isometric.  :)
Are there any old games that had good examples of isometric?  :-\  I'm too lazy right now to look, but I'm sure somebody out there knows.   :mean:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 07:25:54 pm
It's fine that you go light on detail, just make sure you know what to add detail to and what not to....it's sort of a focus thing; do you want people to look at your lite b--girlfriend's mac? Detail it.  Don't want viewers to pay close attention to the carpet? Leave it blank.   One of the things about a minimalist way to go, is that it adds contrast and attention to anything with detail, so try to keep that in mind.  :y:

By the way: it could be argued that you can still keep your retro look while still being very detailed...but yeah, I have to agree that games like The Immortal and Shadowrun had rather sub-par, simple isometric.  :)
Are there any old games that had good examples of isometric?  :-\  I'm too lazy right now to look, but I'm sure somebody out there knows.   :mean:

Darkmere :).

sleepfist:

decide on a light source and apply some noticeable shading. e.g. http://www.rhysd.com/tutorial/chapter3.html#3_2

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 03:54:37 am
Wow, nice find willfaulds.   :):y:

EDIT: sorry about the off-topic-ness

Offline sleepfist

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 06:15:26 am
BEFORE

AFTER

Offline TGC

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 07:03:59 am
I think u've done a nice job on improving. Looks more alive then it first did :). Nice work on the bookcase.

Greetz!