AuthorTopic: Templar Guardian  (Read 7334 times)

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Re: Templar Guardian

Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 07:38:29 am
I think he [andy tran] is being sarcastic Opacus.  The first piece looks good, but i wish you could translate it into colour. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 10:57:18 am
The ninja piece needs a new left arm, maybe holding a heavy sword to justify the lean. I would lose the bright patch on his breast plate and just have it all black. The three fingers on his right hand seem too short. The head might need some more highlights on its right side, to make it easier to distinguish between a head and neck armour versus a 'shredder' (from ninja turtles) helmet. Cool concept though with very interesting legs.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline madafacka

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 02:06:48 pm
Hey kable! Its been a long time :)

-ndeal
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 02:09:02 pm by madafacka »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 02:15:08 pm
Hello ndeal. Please send pms if you want to give a shout to old friends. Critique on the critique board please.

Offline madafacka

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 02:45:14 pm
Sure thing helm. Wont happen again.

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 11:20:20 am
Hello Kable. Long time no see.

The last piece suffers from banding, pillow-shading, very vague shading. You need to do more traditional studies with simple geometric shapes under single lightsources and move onwards. Your ghrasp of light needs a lot of work. I like the low contrast pieces, but they hide a very real artistic limitation. Furthermore the last image suffers from bad posture, and arm movements that don't signify anything/are uncomfortable. Think more about why a character would stand as we does, and always try the stances yourself against a mirror and see if they look natural.

Yeah, I did the cyber samurai piece some time ago, and looking back on it now I agree completely about the posture. I still like the character design and proportions, the pillow shading was actually an attempt to get smooth metal look to it, but obviously I didn't quite pull it off. Color and shading have never been strong points for me.

@ndeal: hey man :)