AuthorTopic: Hello everybody  (Read 2903 times)

Offline griffy6

• Agnostic
    • View Profile

Hello everybody

on: October 13, 2007, 07:15:15 pm
Hi, I'm new here and really haven't made any posts, except for a little project in the Unpaid Work section, if you dropped by to see that. But I have been watching all of you and your pixel masterpieces for a little while now, and I thought I would start to get more involved here. I am learning pixel-art and starting to get better, and I thought this would be a great place to learn with you guys.

So, I guess I should show you some of my work...this is the showcase section, after all...

(You might have to refresh to see the animation.
Edit: Well, you might not be able to see the animation at all. Sorry!)

Alright, so the one on the top is a chameleon-dinosaur thing, and the one on the bottom is a frog. (Both are enemies for a spare-time game that I'm doing the graphics and some of the programming for.)

Now, I know what you can immediately see wrong with the top one; the legs are coming out of his stomach and don't overlap the body. But like I said, I'm still learning, so please work with me here. I managed a little dithering and chose some interesting colors, and overall I think it looks alright. I started out using a reference image (that's where the wacky colors come from), but then I strayed off too much from the image's look and set off doing the rest on my own.

I'm a bit happier with the frog on the bottom, since it doesn't seem to have any major flaws and the colors are subtle but still stand out. I have another image of it leaping but decided not to post it.

So please give me some pointers on this! I cannot get better without feedback!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 07:18:57 pm by griffy6 »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Hello everybody

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 08:43:06 pm

Needs more contrast, make sure you define the light source aswell.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 08:48:40 pm by bengoshia »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 08:54:14 pm
So please give me some pointers on this! I cannot get better without feedback!
Well, technically you can.

The main problem is a lack of light source, as bengoshia said, and on the frog, you picked super-saturated colors. It's best to work on a pure grey, since that won't effect your perception of colors.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline griffy6

• Agnostic
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 02:42:19 am
That frog edit is great. So great, in fact, that it would look completely out of place in my game.

(To see how this will really look in my game, set the zoom to 2x.)

But yeah, I see what you mean. The light source really makes the difference. Thank you for the tip!

Also, you all have probably noticed how the character looks really out of place as it is. I am really bad at making character sprites, so I colored a sprite sheet. I know, I'm a cheater...

Anyway, if you would like to donate a better character, PM me.

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 07:15:28 am
Whew, I think if I were playing a game with that background, I'd get dizzy and have to stop. :P

Really, those are some bright looking patterns. What's the kind of look you're going for? It seems like you want something you'd see out of a Yoshi or Mario game. (I say that based on those hills). If you insist on those zig-zag stripes, then at least make them thicker/further apart/not so close. You should also add some depth to them, and change the lines to show that they're wrapping around something round. (Again, I'm just assuming you want something round, based on the hills).

This basket ball is a good example on the lines:

Notice how they bend? (Now, it's possible that they're meant to curve or something, but this should still show my point). The object is round and curvy, so the lines are too.

And like bengoshia said, you need to define a light source. You're at least showing depth by making the "hills" further back dark, (which isn't what you want to do, but works to show depth). When things are going into the sky, they start blending with with it's color. So, instead of making those hills darker, you should make them lighter and bluer. (Depending on how far back they are of course.)

Also, grass isn't flat.

Your grass shouldn't be super tall or anything, but you should show some stands or clumps of it. Doing that will make it look a lot more like grass.

I think you should also try to keep your sprites and background look, "correct" together. That lizard looks out of place because it's got earthy tones, and isn't too vibrant. (But I think you should tone down the vibrancy in the characters and background anyhow). In any case, no matter what graphical direction you go in, it should look like they're suppose to be there.

And I don't know what those balls at the top are suppose to be, but they'd look better sprited. :P And you should keep your text consistent... Size could change I suppose, but I wouldn't change the color and outlines like you've done. Try to make it look similar so it doesn't look so slapped together. And you could make a new icon for the lives instead of just taking the character's head like that. :P

And what sprite sheet did you color exactly?