AuthorTopic: German BR 52 locomotive  (Read 23285 times)

Offline Bouzolf

• I'm a Quebecer, i like pink and I'm 14 years old.
    • View Profile
    • My PJ Galery

Re: German BR 52 locomotive

Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 10:34:02 pm
Ok, maybe I went a little to far. But I still think it as no personnality, you know. No charm.

But, I guess it's a matter of taste.
My English is poor, sorry about that..

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 12:41:26 am
I believe that I have already heard that its boring.  Thats why I want to spice it up,  without necessarily changing the view.  I guess at this point I am trying to do overall layout.  Perhaps I should focus on drawing the different parts of the scene, then coming back and making them look a little more dynamic.  Thanks for the crit. folks. 

Jack

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 12:52:41 am
The lamp shades for lights on buildings seem to be angled away from us.

Next piece do it in 'eboy' style perspective pleeeeeaaase.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 12:58:13 am
I would...but, what is Eboy?  At first I thought you had said EBay lol.   As to the lamp shades, which ones?  I don't believe the lights I have visible are...but appear that way. 

Jack

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 01:47:10 am
Use google image and 'eboy pixel art'.

I mean the lamp shades are drawn like we are slightly above them. Lets say a lamp shade had a cone shape. Looking exacly side on, this would look like a triangle. You might be drawing them correctly and thats just a feature of the shape of the lamp (ie. one above door on latest building) but I just wanted u to double check it.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 04:41:16 pm
I guess I should clarify something.  At this point in the game, it is my intent to do something that perhaps might not seem dynamic.  It is, plainly put, a War locomotive idling at a station.  I want to show a not so destructive setting during WWII.  While that might sound like an oxy-moron, I do believe such a scene is possible.  I hope that I have cleared some things up.  I do value all your input.  Thanks for reading and stay tuned.

Jack

Offline Bouzolf

• I'm a Quebecer, i like pink and I'm 14 years old.
    • View Profile
    • My PJ Galery

Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008, 04:46:19 pm
Hum... so this is a war game. What about making all those sprites a bit smaller. So you could show a lot more larger territory in the same screen? Just an idea.
My English is poor, sorry about that..

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: April 17, 2008, 05:28:47 pm
Hum... so this is a war game. What about making all those sprites a bit smaller. So you could show a lot more larger territory in the same screen? Just an idea.

Oops, I meant it as a figure of speech.  I meant this far into the project, not a playable game.  It started out mainly to see what I could achieve in terms of WWII scenes.  Sorry to confuse.

Jack

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 02:41:34 pm
I really like this technical drawing stuff... personally I dont think its boring at all, and if it still just a wip, I cant wait to see the finished product.

Sombody mentioned that the trains might benefit from being scaled down... personally I agree with this, then maybe you can put more time into shading and lighting... also you might find it easier to detail the train if it were smaller. That being said, I dont mind the scale you chose, just seems like it would take a long time to make a finished product.

One critque that I noticed while admiring your work. The wheels look like there resting on the rails with no backing to keep the train in place, there should be part of the wheel going past the inside of the track to keep the train from falling off... If you going for realism, which I think you are, you might want to fix this before you get to far. In fact changing this now might actually be a bit of work as I notice some of the wheel placements are kinda close, and adding to the current wheels diameter might cause some overlapping.

I remember this piece a while back and thought about how cool it would be to animate. good job.
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 09:00:29 am
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/31063.htm

Take a look at this. Linewise it's very similar to yours, but the rendering is much better which is where I feel your piece falls short.

Hope it helps.