AuthorTopic: German BR 52 locomotive  (Read 23284 times)

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Re: German BR 52 locomotive

Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 09:43:50 pm
This lacks shading, I believe, and textures. Try and texture the wood, and that. Also, this is really big, I'd probably make it 1/4 of the current size... And don't use the spraycan! xD
When there is no more of art to discover, you know you're dead. And if you aren't, what the hell do you live for?

Offline Zombiemambo

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 11:18:54 pm
Your line work is excellent, that tank is very nice looking. What you should focus on, in my opinion, is dynamic lighting and textures. All pixelart is flat, it takes a lot of practice to trick the eye into believing the object in question is 3-dimensional. If you can, take a look at a real model train, move the light source around a bit and get a feel for how lighting works.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 07:57:55 am
The locomotive looks allright, maybe add some more depth to the wheels. Would be nice to see you complete the whole rest in that way. Now if you DO want to go for a dynamic piece and learn about perspective, make an outline / sketch on like less than half of this size and post it here, with reference, then I think lots of people will help you putting it into perspective.
PS: With 3 ortographic projections you can get great 2 points perspective drawings, saying this is the side projection, make a front and top and you can put it in basically any perspective.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 02:01:16 pm
currently issue is Consistency. Can be fixed by
a) Give Black smoke some shading - but remember a darker outline. Spray can should not be used. Everything has a flat color and darker color for outline. This looks good but must be applied to everything including smoke and background. Also it is not applied to officer's face so this must be changed.
b) Make light source for all objects the same. Currently train is lit from above. Make the water tank also lit from above. Make all objects shaded.
c) make heights of soldiers the same.

Another suggestion: make white of pole less pure white.

Heres my 'overall plan' suggestion: massive canvas sizes suit your 'technical' style and 2d perspective. This would be the one I like the most. I would suggest making them bigger (ie contain even more stuff). The eboy stuff for instance looks like crap imo but they have 'value' because of the amount of things they have in the massive canvas that are interesting. Kinda like it'd be dumb to compare wheres wally to the mona lisa. I would suggest going down the wheres wally path: find a program that lets you use restricted palletes but also layers + gradient fills (quicker to use?), and just make big pieces - use whatever technique is most efficient but pleasing to the eye.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 10:47:35 pm
The lines look fine from a drafting standpoint they look like a coloring book.

Anti-Aliasing will make thinks look smoother. These aren't the best examples of it but they are examples none the less. In the real world things aren't separated the way you portray them.

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 12:06:47 am
sharprm:  When you say fill it with stuff do you mean more background stuff such as buildings, vehicles, etc?  Also, I am wondering if I should drop the hills background.  If you have an idea of what would be a better backdrop, I am all ears.  Perhaps hills are a bit overly ambitious on my part.  A new path would be perhaps a more industrial setup like warehouses, tall structures, etc.  I am leaning towards a more dirty, rugged work environment with men working on various areas.  As for the train, perhaps I should drop the truck bearing car and put in something else, more war-like such as a tank gun or something.  Perhaps even an armored train car thrown in.  I acknowledge that my style is pretty dull.  I want to change that, but its difficult.  Must be my version of quitting cold turkey.  Thanks for listening lol.

JonathanOfDrain:  Hey there.  I would love to make things look a lot smoother.  Just a matter of me figuring out how you guys work your magic.  If you are getting the impression that I am not listening to a word of what you're saying, its not true.  I am honestly trying to take your advise and work with it.  I know it doesnt look that way but I am a chap who comes from the world of drawing because I find it fun and it helps me relax.  It is true though that in the past and sometimes in the present I slip into lazy mode and thats something I am trying to address.  Thanks for the help and keeping me real and sparing me no punches.  I want to nail this out of the park eventually.  One last thing is a replacement station.  I didn't think the other one was impressive enough.  The following post will have the update.  Thanks!

Jack
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:34:59 pm by JackBauer24 »

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 04:36:12 pm
Here it is, a new version of the train station where there trains going by.  It still is very much a WIP but I'm liking it allot  better.  Anyhow, here it is.  Tell me what you think.  Thanks!

WIP:

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 01:21:28 pm
Hey guys, Jack here with something different.  Its a German locomotive used during, you guessed it, World War II.  Its a pretty cool machine and I thought I would try my hand at it.  Several months later, here it is.  The problem is that its a bit flat.  If anyone has any ideas, feel free to let me know.  Any and all C+C is most welcome.  Cheers!

Jack

I can't offer a whole lot of anything, but a little thing i learned from a tutorial is that darker shades will take you farther than lighter ones. Lemme show you what i'm talking about here:
Edits on left, originals on right.

Not the best but i'm pressed for time so i did 'em in a hurry.

I can't help much with flat surfaces since those baffle me, but for rounded ones, by expanding the areas shaded by the darker..uhm..shades, it gives the illusion of a more rounded shape, rather than looking round near the sides and flat in the front.

Offline Bouzolf

• I'm a Quebecer, i like pink and I'm 14 years old.
    • View Profile
    • My PJ Galery

Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 08:05:34 pm
Your stuff is boring.

It's like a plan. I as no life, no fanzyness. If it's gray, you draw it gray. If it's blue, you draw it blue. That's not art. Art is drawing beautifull things. Things that are fun to watch.

Ok, so if ypou belive I'm right, here what you can do to make this pixel ART.
First, define a light source. This will give you an ambiance you can play with.
Second, change those borring colors into cool ones. A simple way to do this: Your shadow should not be only the same color with less light. It should be the same color with a blue tone, or less saturation.
Third, MAKE IT DYNAMIC! An other view angle could help. But moslty, there is nothing going on in your drawings. BAM! The train exploded! Something intersting.

Here's a quick rough to show you what I mean:

My English is poor, sorry about that..

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 09:41:33 pm
Your stuff is boring.

It's like a plan. I as no life, no fanzyness. If it's gray, you draw it gray. If it's blue, you draw it blue. That's not art. Art is drawing beautifull things. Things that are fun to watch.

Ok, so if ypou belive I'm right, here what you can do to make this pixel ART.
First, define a light source. This will give you an ambiance you can play with.
Second, change those borring colors into cool ones. A simple way to do this: Your shadow should not be only the same color with less light. It should be the same color with a blue tone, or less saturation.
Third, MAKE IT DYNAMIC! An other view angle could help. But moslty, there is nothing going on in your drawings. BAM! The train exploded! Something intersting.

Here's a quick rough to show you what I mean:

Okay so it's boring because it doesn't conform to you standards of what "art" is? that's hardly fair. read baccaman21's response.
If he wants to go for realism that's his prerogative.
your criticism could hardly be considered constructive because you're basically telling him to start over and draw something else. not everyone wants to rip off metal slug.