AuthorTopic: German BR 52 locomotive  (Read 23535 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: German BR 52 locomotive

Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 01:13:37 pm
baccaman, you're a hero! This is the exact thing I think that pixelation-ers should try to think a bit more of! I mean, we're already the absolutely best art critique forum on the net, but this is kind of a flaw I see, it's like.. we're all striving to accomplish the same kind of ideals, which makes us conform in the end  O: A bit.

It's like we're trying to find the perfect techniques and then we try to make others use them aswell, which makes us all conform to the same techniques.

No problem with that, though, really. It's not like there's any chance that we'll loase our individuality, it's just that we give, eh, kind of the wrong kind of critique to people like jack bauer :D

Anyways!

I think things that really WOULD improve your pictures is learning how to anti-alias your lines. Jonathanofdrain actually made some sweet stuffs there. You should check them out.

I think your images would improve with some more unified color schemes and texture. Achieving texture in pixel art is hard, but there's a lot of ways to go to it.

MY advice would be to try to bring some sepia-toned goodness into your pictures, and some grime and texture, shadows and smoothness. It would clash wonderfully with the perfect perspective you're using.

And lastly, keep the perspective, do your thing. I'm liking it a lot :]

Plus, you've become way better with expressing volume and shadows, just do what you're doing now with the shading, but do it more. You're on the right track!

And lastly a challenge: Next piece you do, try to throw some perspective in there. Working small and isometric is a challenge that i think would fit you very well, even though it's different from your usual drill :]

Good luck!
' _ '

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 08:19:44 pm
My edits(Mine on left compared to yours on the right):

I showed you these on AIM, but I figured I should show them here and go into more detail. What you mainly need is more contrast, a better color scheme, a definitive light source  and just making things look 3D, you're not going to do this with a dark outline like the one you have. Use selective outlining, which is what I've done, to fix the problem of making it look more real. Your window didn't really look like a window, so I made it look reflective to fix this(The window is the only thing that really doesn't follow the light source, but meh), like I just mentioned, you should define the light source, your bars have a light source to the left, etc. It's really looking good and I can't wait to see how it progresses.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 09:53:37 pm
Hey bengoshia, that's looking pretty rad O: The only thing I'm not really a fan of is the dotted outline on the handle.

The rest is a great improvement, good edit!
' _ '

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 02:39:08 am
Hey guys, Jack here with an update.  I'm trying to integrate everything that was mentioned.  Due to other stuff, not everything has been though.  Mainly the window, the boiler, etc.  Enjoy.  As for color scheme, I don't understand what is wrong with it?  Light source is overhead, slightly to the left side of the screen...Danke!

Jack

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 02:48:46 am by JackBauer24 »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 03:20:18 am
You've come quite a ways so far.  :y:
Concerning the color scheme...I found this on google:

And nearly every other image that came up, shows this think as a red and black train.  So if you're going on that, I'd say the colors are way off.   But it looks like you are going for more of a camouflage coloring, which is fine, but I think your camo, or stripes, could use a little work right now.  At the moment, it just looks like a bunch of random lines, which camo is, but it really doesn't feel camouflage-y. (btw, did Germans use tiger stripe camo in ww2?  :-\)

Other wise it's on the right track (heh)...depending on if you're going for realism or a cartoon look, I'd play with the contrast of the lights and darks.
Can't wait to see more on this  :y:.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 07:53:32 am
Hello there, the camo scheme in question is genuine.  The example you showed me is the civilian version.  Here is a refernce pic.  While it is a model, I have it on good authority that its a genuine scheme.

Jack
http://www.2iemeguerre.com/blindes/images/br52m1.jpg

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 08:36:39 am
the germans invented the best (IMO) camo pattern during ww2 that I know as splinter...

really nice, geometric shapes.
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 08:55:26 am
Yea, the camo was pretty good ;)

I think the train should be a lot dirtier and rustier, that would give it more life. It looks really sterile right now. Add some scratches and dents!
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 06:25:34 pm
Also, dents would be a nice touch, but where would they come from?

Bulletfire?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 07:54:33 pm by ptoing »

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 09:21:41 pm
Ok folks, gonna try to get some help.  I really need it lol.  I'm in dire needs of some serious rethinking on this project.  The piece looks...in my opinion rather dull and unimanginative.  The artist is sorely lacking any real grasp on dynamic art.  This poor sap needs to nail this down or else he should quit the profession altogether.  Here is his latest effort.

Jack