AuthorTopic: hero nut, first serious attempt at pixeling  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Maarten

• View Profile

hero nut, first serious attempt at pixeling

on: October 13, 2007, 12:56:01 pm
Hey, I already posted this at pixeljoint but I noticed this cool forum and I thought that there were maybe other people hanging out here.

This is my first serious attempt at pixeling, Ive got a wip topic at pixeljoint where I got a lot of tips, I think its near completion now so I figured Id post it here.
If you guys could give me advice, not only on this piece but also on how I can become a better pixel artist in general, that would be great :)

I fell in love with pixel art just a few days ago, but Im already thinking of marrying it.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: hero nut, first serious attempt at pixeling

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 01:16:03 pm
Looks pretty good. His right arm should be moved to the right a few pixels. I think the hands could be improved (ie. remove bump on top of left hand and fix where wrist is on his right hand)
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

Re: hero nut, first serious attempt at pixeling

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 07:23:54 am
It's not too bad. :)

I really like the flow the cape has. (though, I'm not sure how it can just connect to his skin like that...)

One thing that REALLY sticks to me though, would be his legs. His front leg is so dark in relation to the front arm. The lighting is pretty inconsistent. Then again, you could be making his right leg the back leg... Which is something a bit unnatural when it comes to sprites. (At least with that view and angle). If that IS the case though, I'd say you've got to turn his body more for it to readily look like that. You could also give more depth to his belt.

And I'm hardly the person to be giving crits on anatomy, and even if this is suppose to be exaggerated and cartoon-like, I think it should be more consistent. (You must be though, since those pecs are huge). Like, the structure of his arms should match. (I don't think the left arm has a shoulder, and his forearm looks a bit like it's starting to melt). And, if you're going to simplify his arms like that, you might as well to it to his chest too. (Or you could add more detail in the arms). Same with his legs really; those look like some tight pants.

If this is your first serious attempt, that's pretty good. :)