AuthorTopic: [WIP] updated - forum graphics  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

[WIP] updated - forum graphics

on: October 09, 2007, 03:54:46 am
I was asked to help overhauling a forum interface, making stuff such as rank icons, smileys, etc.
Although I'm learning a lot, it's been a bit rough for my level of pixel knowledge. So here I am asking for your help.

Medieval Pennant (forum administrator):
Orgininal:
My mod:

Smileys:

Are these readable (guess not)? What should I do to improve?

Thanks in advance,
-Stefano

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 02:30:33 am by Stefano »

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Re: [WIP]medieval pennant...

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 09:54:26 am
... Here it looks like a cheaply cropped jpg. Damnit! >:(...

-Stefano
mmm...then try to upload another pic witch the site's background in background...should look nice..

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] updated - forum graphics

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:04:26 am
Here's a suggestion for your smilies, loose the outlined AA unless its surrounded by a border like the smilies here at pixelation. I personally think its too bright, I'd tone down the saturation of the darker shades and replace the darkest with a black, its near enough and stands out much nicer. Also the lightest isn't doing your smilies any good, imo it just clashes..

Heres what i'd do.

Yours -

My edit of yours -

also a cheeky bit off AA on the features can go far.

I like the improvement of that flag, but maybe you're relying on colour shifting too much, use it for variety and judge whether it's vital for the piece.

Goodluck with your updations :) - Ter
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Stefano

• 10 different types of soup
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART profile

Re: [WIP] updated - forum graphics

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 01:12:27 am
Terley,

Thank you so much for your reply. I was beginning to think the topic was going to slip through the bottom of the page. *slurp!*

For starters, I think I'll consider drawing an outline just to see how it looks and also because I wanted to keep the outer border AA, although if I am to also keep it's tiny height (Mainly to fit along with text. You know, without changing line spacing) the outline 1-pixel increase probably isn't such a good idea. Hum... I'll have to think about it.

I agree that the color scheme solution you're showing me - less saturation, higher contrast - does solves everything much better.
I'll look at what you did (including the small AA/shine/smiling mouth size changes), digest it and poop brand new smileys! Yay!

For the flag: Since I've only learned about hue shifting recently I guess I'm on a hue-shifting frenzy...  :crazy:

Anyways,
Crapload of thankses.
-Stefano