AuthorTopic: Portrait critique request  (Read 2946 times)

Offline spajjder

• View Profile

Portrait critique request

on: August 30, 2020, 08:52:15 am
Hi!

I made a portrait of a friend but it looks really off...

I would like to get help to point out where I can change things.
Is it too many colours? are proportions wrong?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Portrait critique request

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 07:32:41 pm
We can only comment on so much without the reference; her proportions look generally ok, the face seems well observed. Not too many colors- in fact, the hair might want a few more shades. Over emphasizing odd shapes like the neck wrinkles and chin can add to it looking "off". I'd recommend squinting at your reference, and only worrying about the shapes that still persist even through the blurred vision. This ensures you're getting the "essential" shapes right that will inform her likeness.

This is also an ambitiously sized pixel art piece! Half the size might be more manageable! Either way it's a valiant effort so far, good luck with it  :)

Offline spajjder

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 08:22:42 pm
Hi!.

I took your advice in consideration and changed a bit. I think she looks better now.
Anything else I missed? :D Thank you so much for advice!

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 10:32:46 am
It's very hard for me make hair with low canvas imagine at this side.  ???

However I think you could give more details in his smile more specif in upper lips and in the teeths, them seems such big and at this size I belive you could give better dental cavity. :crazy:

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 02:01:49 am
It looks very nice but I'm gonna back what Ryumaru said, seems like having it this large, in my opinion, defeats the purpose of it being pixel art. Even most "large" pixel work isn't gonna be this big so I think you're gonna end up having to do quite a lot of cleanup work, which means blending or dithering making sure things gradate properly etc. Posting the ref would help too.