AuthorTopic: Queen of Hearts  (Read 4134 times)

Offline MashPotato

• View Profile
    • Crabshack Gallery

Queen of Hearts

on: October 08, 2007, 08:20:20 pm
Hi!
This is a picture I've been working on... it's a macabre version of the Queen of Hearts, with her as a crone who is dressed in the remnants of a decaying girlish dress.  I still have quite a bit to do (the hair, heart, crown, and border in particular), but I would appreciate any crit you have.  Thank you  :)

Offline Rokuji

• View Profile

Re: Queen of Hearts

Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 08:55:35 pm
Its actually very good! I assume the outline of hte crown will be taken out, so there really isnt much for me to say.

And though this is probably the style, i think the eye is too far up on her head, and way too big. But then again, thats the style, and it still looks fine.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 09:46:40 pm
That's awesome! I love what you've done with the dress. I think the piece needs more contrast, though, and I agree with the eye being too high up. What I assume is blood dripping from the heart looks a bit more like dry pieces of string at the moment. I think the blood needs to stain the dress to show that it's dripping, if it is, and some brighter highlights on the heart to make it look wet. Maybe some drops falling from it too. :D

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 04:20:52 am
I really like it. I completely disagree that it needs more contrast. I really like the color scheme as is. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 05:24:33 am
Nice design, but could use some contrast like Arachne said. Very noticable on the dress where you have the brown buffer between your light pink highlight and your mid tone red. It makes your piece look muddy.

The width of some of the hair strands is a bit inconsistent. If that's intentional, I'll shut my mouth, though that one strand to the right of her eye bugs me a little.

Finish quickly, please?

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 12:05:51 pm
Its great, very macabre. i like the red stuff how it clings to her but don't know why. I guess some shadows might be good to make the arm and hand blend in less with dress and body.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline MashPotato

• View Profile
    • Crabshack Gallery

Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 03:39:05 pm
Thanks for the replies everyone!
Unfortunately I'll be away from my computer for the next couple of days, but I'll certainly be playing around with all the suggestions you have made when I get back :)
Just a couple of things to mention: the red stuff coming from the heart is supposed to be arteries (so I guess it's not too clear ^_~), and the dress is supposed to be a little muddy because I want it to look old and dirty.
Please do keep the suggestions coming :)

Offline MashPotato

• View Profile
    • Crabshack Gallery

Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 04:49:28 am
Got back to this today, thanks for the suggestions again :)
I deepened and expanded the shadows (does this help with the contrast and arm-readability issues?)  I also lowered the eye.  The heart still needs some touching up, and I'll try adding some bloodstains at the end ;)